FH Mailing List
The FH Mailing List is a public mailing list and all users and potential users are free and welcome to join. The list is online at https://groups.io/g/family-historian quite separate from this FHUG site. Please note in common with all other mailing lists, once subscribed you will receive ALL messages sent to the list, not just replies to your own messages. Subscription settings offer a choice of Individual Messages, Digests, or Daily Summaries. The messages support text formatting and file attachments.
Weekly FHUG Summary
For some time we had been sending a weekly summary of postings from FHUG to the old RootsWeb FHU Mailing List. When that list ended, in order for people to continue to receive the weekly summary, we have added the option to the User Control Panel Profile to receive the weekly summary directly by E-mail.
Please see Weekly Bulletin for more information.
Recent FH Mail Posts
- Re: Help please by csfry33@... (Christopher Fry) (2020/03/30 19:47)
- Re: Help please by csfry33@... (Christopher Fry) (2020/03/30 19:45)
- Re: Help please by post@... (Mike Tate) (2020/03/30 00:08)
- Re: Help please by David.potter5@... (David Potter) (2020/03/29 20:19)
- Help please by csfry33@... (Christopher Fry) (2020/03/29 19:49)
- Re: Close Down/Startup Query by baggy212@... (Patrick Maloney) (2020/03/27 11:39)
- Re: Migration to new PC by famfindrs@... (Allan Knodel) (2020/03/27 07:05)
- Re: Close Down/Startup Query by genealogist15@... (Derek Kain) (2020/03/25 10:04)
- Re: Close Down/Startup Query by christopher.patching@... (2020/03/25 10:04)
- Re: Close Down/Startup Query by post@... (Mike Tate) (2020/03/25 10:04)
- Re: Close Down/Startup Query by baggy212@... (Patrick Maloney) (2020/03/25 00:10)
- Re: Close Down/Startup Query by trevor@... (Trevor Rix) (2020/03/24 23:39)
- Close Down/Startup Query by baggy212@... (Patrick Maloney) (2020/03/24 23:26)
- Re: Help with lost Property Box by projectgal54@... (Sue Paul) (2020/03/21 13:49)
- Help with lost Property Box by projectgal54@... (Sue Paul) (2020/03/21 13:40)
- Re: split project by post@... (Mike Tate) (2020/03/21 11:21)
- Re: split project by paul@... (Paul Tanner-Tremaine) (2020/03/21 11:04)
- Re: split project by David.potter5@... (David Potter) (2020/03/21 10:50)
- Re: Select Source Problem by projectgal54@... (Sue Paul) (2020/03/21 02:20)
- Re: Select Source Problem by projectgal54@... (Sue Paul) (2020/03/21 02:19)
Joining and Leaving the List
Initially, you will receive a copy of every message posted to the list as a single E-mail, which is distributed using the E-mail address email@example.com.
Alternative message options are available by logging in at https://groups.io/g/family-historian/editsub.
For questions about this list, contact the list administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit https://groups.io/g/family-historian and click the + Join This Group button.
Alternatively, send an E-mail to email@example.com from the E-mail address you wish to subscribe.
Send an E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org from the E-mail address you wish to unsubscribe.
There is also an Unsubscribe link at the bottom of each message.
Can messages be sent to the list if I have not been subscribed?
The short answer is NO!. This is to protect you from spam, nuisances, etc. However, the list is not moderated. Any message sent to it by any subscriber is automatically distributed to everyone on the list.
The list is quiet - I haven't received any messages for 24 hours
If you find that you have not received a message via the list for 24 hours, you may have been suspended. The list computer will automatically stop sending messages after a certain number of messages have bounced from your E-mail address. If you think this has happened to you, then just SUBSCRIBE again.
What do I need to do if I change my E-mail address?
I'm going on holiday - should I unsubscribe?
If you are going away for a while and will be unable to download mail, then you are advised to inhibit messages.
On your return, you may wish to catch up on messages by searching the list archive.
This list took over from the RootsWeb list that closed at the beginning of March 2020. Please see Groups.io/Family-Historian for more information.
For the time being there is still a RootsWeb list archive at Rootsweb
Announcement from Simon Orde
Posted 28th January 2020
As you may already know, RootsWeb (the people who host this mailing list) have announced that they will be discontinuing all mailing lists from March 2nd. Although this list has been a little quiet recently, it is well-subscribed and we believe that it offers something of value which should continue. Also, as again you may already know, Family Historian 7 is coming soon, and from past experience, there is ordinarily an increase in posts from users when a new version is released; so we wanted to be sure that we have a good replacement in place, in time for that. And we have found one.
The replacement for the mailing list is a 'group' (that's what they call them) that we have created, at Groups.io. The new group is called 'Family Historian', and we would like to invite you all to become members of it - preferably right now! Groups are very similar to mailing lists. Members receive all emails sent to the group and can post messages to the group. But there are numerous ways in which groups are superior to the old mailing lists. For one thing, you easily browse posts online in a web browser, with a convenient layout, filtering and search options.
To become a member of the new group, please go to https://groups.io/g/family-historian and click the "Join This Group" button (or the "login if you are already a member" button if applicable).
When you have a Groups.io account, you will be able to subscribe not just to the Family Historian group, but to any of their other groups that interest you. Some other genealogy mailing lists are also moving to Groups.io.
We will shortly be sending out direct invitations to you all by email, to join the 'Family Historian' group at Groups.io. Please ignore these if you have already joined, or if you don't want to.
As an incentive to move to the group, I will shortly be posting some updates there on the progress of Family Historian 7. Hope to see you there!
Simon Orde Calico Pie
FHU (RootsWeb) List Closure
The FHU list was part of the RootsWeb family of lists operated by Ancestry and closed down in early March 2020.
For the time being there is still an archive at Rootsweb
Below is the RootsWeb Announcement:
Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb.
As an alternative to RootsWeb Mailing Lists, Ancestry message boards are a great option to network with others in the genealogy community. Message boards are available for free with an Ancestry registered account.
Thank you for being part of the RootsWeb family and contributing to this community.
Sincerely, The RootsWeb Team