Places and Addresses
What Is a Place
This may sound obvious, but a Place is a geographic location.
Place and Address ~ What's the Difference?
There have been many discussions on places and addresses at FHUG the following seem to be fairly constant.
- Keep Places consistent.
- Include the house number, street information in the Address and not the Place.
- Church names should be recorded in the Address.
See also the GEDCOM Definition below.
Place and Address Management
There is a Work With Data tool which allows global management, editing and combining of Places and Addresses on the Tools menu.
fh V6 introduced Place records that offer another global management option together with geocode mapping of Latitude & Longitude.
|Short||Places are displayed in shortened format. Only text up to the first comma (if any) is displayed.|
|Medium||Places are displayed in a slightly shortened format. Text up to the second comma only (if there are two) is displayed.|
|Tidy||The full place details are displayed, but extra commas are removed.|
|Full||The full place details are displayed (this is the default).|
Problems With Places
People migrating from "Family Tree Maker" often have huge problems with Places when imported from FTM, which records attribute values in the Place field.
Although it is a big job to correct the place data in this circumstance it is highly recommended to do so as the long-term benefits outweigh the short-term pain.
GEDCOM Field Name PLAC
PLACE_VALUE = "The jurisdictional name of the place where the event took place…"
GEDCOM Field Name ADDR
ADDRESS_STRUCTURE = "The address structure should be formed as it would appear on a mailing label…"
Forum Posts on Places and Addresses
- Addresses and Churchs (and Places) Jan 2015
- Maps in V6 (Addresses and Places) Jan 2015
- Best format of PLACe and ADDRess for Map Geocoding Dec 2014 - Jan 2015
- Places and Addresses - best practice Dec 2014
- Create New Tab or Customize (Address & Place fields) Mar 2014
- Location box required (for map grid coordinates) Mar 2014
- How to handle places Feb 2014
- New to Genealogy (where to store Address) Oct 2013
- Ancestry 'location' (Place names) Aug 2013
- Recording address and army enrolment Mar 2103
- Address Format (and Place format) Dec 2012
- Moving Place data to Address Field Nov 2012
- Standards regarding burial locations Sep 2012
- Entering home addresses Feb 2006