Utility ~ Dropbox
Dropbox is easy to use and has been reported as working well, by several users. You can have 2 GB of space free and any file changes are automatically "synced" to other computers with the same sign on.
You can add 0.5 GB for free by completing the quests on the Get Started tab, and add 0.5 GB for each friend referred through the referral program - see the Dropbox FAQ Is there any way to get more space? for full details.
Even with one PC, the Dropbox online store provides a useful short-term backup facility. Dropbox makes automatic backups of any changes, where you can download or restore backups if you need them for 30 days. Also File Versions are supported.
There is no maximum single file size, except when used via a browser when the limit is 10 GB.
Dropbox uses modern encryption methods to both transfer and store the files, including Transport Layer Security (TLS)/Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and AES-256 bit encryption.
Dropbox synchronises most Windows PC, Apple Mac, tablets & phones (iOS, Android, Windows, BlackBerry, Kindle Fire), and Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc). Alternatively, files can be accessed via most web browsers.
Family Historian Synchronisation
The process for using Dropbox is straightforward, assuming you have all your media within your Project folder.
- Register for Dropbox.
- Install the FH program on both PC, and use the same Dropbox Account on both PC.
- Use Windows/File Explorer to move your Family Historian Projects folder into the Dropbox folder created in Documents (My Documents) on your main PC.
- Start Family Historian and via File > Project Window select More Tasks > Project List > Choose Location for Projects and point it to the folder you just moved into the Dropbox folder.
- Wait a while, which may be many hours for large Projects or slow Internet connections.
- Check the second PC has the files, and use More Tasks > Project List > Choose Location for Projects as above.
Now on whichever PC you change Project data, it is copied to the other PC automatically via the Dropbox online store. Use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin to synchronise settings and preferences.
To ensure Internet Data Matches are synchronised in fh V6 or later, then either use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin to Restore Registry Data Keys, or use File > Import/Export > Export > User Credentials on main PC and File > Import/Export > Import > User Credentials on other PC to transfer the FH User Credentials.fhcrd file.
For advanced PC users see the Utility ~ Link Shell Extension or Utility ~ Windows Directory Junctions for ways to include individual Projects, or customised Queries, Text Schemes, or any other folders within the Dropbox folder.
Also Boxifier lets you synch any folders to DropBox while keeping the folders elsewhere, and for one folder is free of charge.
Click on the link below and follow the download and install instructions.