The advice below applies to the current version of CrossOver is a Microsoft Windows compatibility layer available for Linux, macOS, and Chrome OS. It enables many Windows-based applications to run on Linux, macOS, or Chrome OS operating systems. CrossOver is a retail product developed by CodeWeavers and based on the Windows emulator from CodeWeavers and is a a variant of Wine is a free and open-source compatibility layer that allows computer programs developed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. https://www.winehq.org/ from WineHQ.
CrossOver Mac Version 19.0.1
CrossOver Linux Version 19.0.1
Also see Reported Problems.
Only the latest versions of ƒh and AS are supported as described below.
Install the programs into a Windows 7 or Windows 8 configuration. Do NOT use Windows XP. For Mac OSX v10.15 (Catalina) and later a 64bit version of the Windows OS MUST be installed.
When installing ƒh, disable Create a desktop icon and disable Launch Family Historian part way through the install progress. Ignore messages saying ƒh is incompatible with Windows 7/8 or that the installation was incomplete.
Family Historian V7
Family Historian V7 has some significant issues running on Crossover. Only install ƒh V7 if you are aware of these limitations.
- During the install process of V7 into a Crossover Bottle it will report errors and may hang whist installing the Nova The Portable Document Format (PDF) is a file format developed by Adobe to present documents in their original formatting, independent of software, hardware, and operating systems. PDF files can contain text, graphics, links, and buttons, form fields, audio, video, and driver
- Reports do not work. They display a black screen in preview mode, unlike V6 which prints the report content correctly, V7 will print a black report to the printer. Fixed in V7.0.3 of ƒh
- Reports cannot be saved to the Mac pdf printer
- Reports can be saved as RTF files and these will display and print correctly using an external program
- If a Family Historian version 6 and below supports two types of Notes: Local notes (associated with a single person, record, or fact); and Shared Notes or Note Records, that can be linked to multiple records and/or facts. Version 7 introduced Research Notes. field is selected and just a formatting change is made then no save button is displayed. To alter formatting additional text must be added to the note, formatting applied and then the additional text deleted, now a save button will be displayed.
- Pasting text from a Mac window or browser must be pasted in as unformatted text otherwise it will not paste into the Note, Both Source records and Citations have a Text From Source field intended to hold transcripts of source documents. etc fields in ƒh
- Carriage returns may be stripped from Note, Text from Source: “where information was found”. This could be anything from an archive in a county records office, a book, or even a relative’s recorded recollection. Citing your Sources helps to show how you reached a particular conclusion about an Individual. fields etc and similar on import into a new A Project is a Windows folder, created by Family Historian, which contains all your Family Tree information recorded in Family Historian. Normally located in the Documents\Family Historian Projects folder..
In Crossover (as of Dec’15) select install a Windows Application as normal. Create a new Win 7/8 Bottle for Family Historian V6 as an unsupported other application. Ignore the Family Historian version that is in the supported applications as this is the 30 day free trial version.
Install these applications into one bottle:
Family Historian V6 or V4/V5 to V6 Upgrade CD or download as per the Family Historian Installation Advice
Family Historian Version 6.2.7 Upgrade as advised in Program Updates below
Microsoft .NET Framework V3.5 SP1 only needed by AS: Tick Microsoft .NET Framework option
Utility ~ Ancestral Sources is a utility written by Nick Walker, designed to be used in conjunction with Family Historian to allow faster, more convenient creation of Census, Birth, Baptism, Marriage, Death and Burial/Cremation records. v5.2.0 32-bit latest download (64bit if on Mac OSX v10.15 (Catalina) or later)
Crossover Mac tutorial: Installing an Unsupported Program from a CD
Crossover Mac tutorial: Installing an Unsupported Program from a File
To ensure ƒh Reports display text correctly, set ƒh Tools > Preferences > General > Advanced > Emulator Compatibility Mode.
All the ƒh and AS settings below should specify similar folder paths, usually involving the Documents folder, and all the named folders and files must actually exist.
ƒh File > Project Window in the Location field
- ƒh Tools > Preferences > Startup in the Default Startup File field
ƒh Tools > Preferences > Backup in the Default Backup Folder field
AS Tools > Options > General settings > Folders in all three fields
If necessary, it is advisable to create new folders using Crossover rather than within ƒh or AS applications.
Configuration changes are needed as described below in Plugins to allow some Plugins to work.
The C:\Program Files\Family Historian installation folder is physically at <username>/Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles/Family Historian V6/drive_c/Program Files/Family Historian where Family Historian V6 is the name if your bottle.
Ensure the Crossover window remains on the Mac screen on which it is opened, and does not follow the cursor when swiped to another screen. To achieve this, locate the Dock and right-click (control-click) the Crossover icon, go to Options, and ensure it is set to This Desktop. Repeat this with the FH and AS icons.
The simplest way to update both ƒh and AS is to use their own Help > Check for Updates commands and follow the automated download and install process.
Otherwise use the following strategies for both ƒh and AS program updates.