* Some Plugins do not stay saved in Tools Menu

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
roy
Silver
Family Historian: None

Some Plugins do not stay saved in Tools Menu

Post by roy »

Recently I have discover that some of the Plugins I have saved and “added to the Tools Menu” are not available there when FH is reloaded.  

The title of the Plugin is still shown in the Tools Menu but when clicked, the message “Plugin not found” is displayed and the name then disappears from the Tools Menu.

On checking the Plugin Menu the Plugins are still listed and work correctly, however the “add to Tools Menu” box is no longer ticked.

They are two of the most useful ones:
“Ancestors UK Census Checker” problem only on my laptop.
“Check for latest versions of plugins” problem on both laptop and desktop computers.

The other Plugins I have added to the Tools Menu, are all OK and are there after reloading FH.

FH is always saved before exiting.  Both computers are running Windows 7 and have the latest updates.   I do not believe there have been any other system changes to either computer.

This problem is an inconvenience rather than a 'problem', however an answer, explanation, hints etc. would be welcomed.

Cheers, Roy

ID:6278
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by BillH »

This has also happened several times to me. Both times it was with the 'Check Installed Plugins Against the Store' plugin that gave that message and then disappeared.

Bill
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I can reproduce this, but have not worked out what causes it, so I have passed it over to Calico to look at.

I suspect it's something to do with longer names, but have not proved it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The problem is that the Plugin filename has a trailing space character just before the dot.

This is yet another example of the lack of checks performed by the Plugin Store when Plugins are submitted.
It does not automatically check that Filename, and Title in the header, and Plug In Title in the Plugin Store are all the same.

See Check Versions of Plugins.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Sorry the trailing space was my fault and I was not aware it would cause the problem it did. If you need to fix the name please use the rename option (under the more button) to remove the trailing space. The Ancestors Census checker is correct in the store now.

I have uploaded the correctly named copy of Checking Plugin, please note as the filename is used for the checking the check routine will probably not match to it unless you rename it.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Jane,

I was going to rename the plugin, but it didn't appear to have an extra space at the end when I looked. So I deleted it and downloaded the new version you had put out on the store. I added it to the tool menu and ran it. Then I exited FH and went back in and ran it from the tools menu again and all worked fine. Thanks for the quick response.

Bill
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Bill, when you use the Rename option it automatically strips the space off the end and you can still use it to rename the file.
roy
Silver
Family Historian: None

Post by roy »

I am 'glad' I was not the only one with the problem, however I still don't know why the problems were different between machine...its history now.
Many thanks to Mike and Jane for identifying the problem and solution and for resolving it.
I guess some extra specification and checking is needed for new/modified plugins.

Thanks again.

Roy