* Adopted by a Single Mother

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
rbryce
Gold
Family Historian: V5

Adopted by a Single Mother

Post by rbryce » 28 Jul 2006 22:56

I have a cousin who was married but is now divorced.  Since her divorce she has adopted two children as a single parent.  I have added these to a blank spouse record, but I would rather they showed on diagrams as not having a (family) father - is that possible?

Robert

ID:1742

Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Jane » 29 Jul 2006 20:06

If the spouse box does show simply use the hide box option to prevent it showing (V3 only)

rbryce
Gold

Post by rbryce » 31 Jul 2006 15:41

Thanks Jane, but sorry if I am being stupid. Every time I try to hide this box the child boxes also hide. I found the following in Help, but still I lose the child boxes too.

Show Hidden Boxes Check this option to show all hidden boxes. By default these appear with a purple background. You can then unhide whichever hidden boxes you wish by selecting them and unticking the Hidden state on the Box States menu (off the Diagram menu).

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 31 Jul 2006 18:44

Strange it works fine for.

Click on Father Box, then right click on it and select hide. Other option is to check you do not have a spouse record on the family, as when I set up a family with out a 'husband' I do not get a husband box on the diagram any way.

rbryce
Gold

Post by rbryce » 31 Jul 2006 22:34

The family record shows but there is still a spouse box.  I have restored installation settings with the same resultant diagram.
Robert

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 01 Aug 2006 08:40

Can you post a screen grab of the problem?

I can only think its tied to the fact I presume you are also seeing the first husband on the chart?

What are you centering the diagram on?

Try centering the diagram on the children, what happens then.

rbryce
Gold

Post by rbryce » 01 Aug 2006 20:24

The simplest form of the diagram is centred on the mother and it shows the divorced husband.
An ancestors diagram centred on one of the children does not show a spouse.
(I confirm I am using v3)

Robert

Tombaston
Famous

Post by Tombaston » 04 Aug 2006 07:22

I tried two different approaches here and there are different results.  First I created Mary Jones, viewed her in an Everyone Diagram and gave her a child Thomas Spencer with unknown father.  Then I clicked the blank spouse tab in her Properties Dialog and created a new spouse Andrew Smith.  Secondly I inserted Karen Wiltshire as a new Individual in the Diagram and married her to Michael Devon.  Then I clicked the blank spouse tab in her Propertied Dialog, left the new spouse name blank but created a new child Mary Somerset instead.  Both Thomas Spencer and Mary Somerset have their relationship to their respective mothers set as Adopted (mother).
In the Everyone Diagram, the two families are shown differently.  Thomas Spencer is shown linked to Mary Jones but not Andrew Smith, which I assume is what you want to achieve.  Mary Somerset is shown linked to an unknown spouse of Karen Wiltshire and even if I change the order of her spouses, the empty unknown spouse box remains.

If I hide the unknown spouse of Karen Wiltshire then Mary Somerset disappears as well.
If I turn on Show Hidden Boxes you can see that the expansion button for Mary Somerset has been closed down, but even if I open this back up and turn off Show Hidden boxes, Mary Somerset disappears again.
So it seems you need to add the adopted children to the mother first, then add her former husband as another spouse.  This works with other Diagram types such as descendant and All Relatives.  Note that if you create a new Diagram afterwards an empty box appears for Mary's unknown spouse and I can't find how to get rid of it again.  I suspect the reason for the empty boxes is if a woman has children by more than one unknown father; it would be difficult to show all of them going back to her without the blank spouse boxes.

rbryce
Gold

Post by rbryce » 05 Aug 2006 20:28

Thanks for your help Dave.  I unlinked all the relationships and then started linking again with the children.  While there was no other spouse the diagram showed no spouse, but as soon as I added the divorced spouse the box appeared for the non existent spouse.  Perhaps you are right as to the reason.

Robert

SimonOrde
Program Designer
Family Historian: V6

Post by SimonOrde » 09 Aug 2006 17:31

Robert and others - Family Historian is not intended to support the option of having some children descending from marriage lines, and some from each parent's own box.  Thomas Spencer, in Dave's (Tombaston's)example is sort of like that - but this is really a glitch.  It isn't supposed to display like that (and it will correct itself quite quickly if you change spouse display options, or make other changes.  It isn't out of the question that FH could support this in the future (perhaps as an option) though it might be prone to misinterpretation, esp. as in US diagrams, the same format is often used to show a child by both parents.  

Incidentally, if you hide a spouse where there is only one, the children aren't hidden.  But if there is more than one spouse, they are.  This is to prevent confusion about who is whose parent.

For now, the only thing I can suggest to get what you want is to fake it yourself.  Here are 2 ways:

(1) Hide the blank spouse you don't want, which will cause the child to be hidden too.  Then reinsert the child as another tree (e.g. a 'Descendant Tree').  Use right-click on the diagram, and choose 'Insert into Diagram' from the menu that appears.  Position below the mother.  Then 'Insert into Diagram ' again, but this time add a line to connect the box back up to his mother.

(2) resize the blank box you don't want to make it as small as possible, and then put a rectange over it.  Format the rectance so that the line (edge) is set to 'No Line' and the fill is the same colour as the background.  Then move it over the remaining bit of spouse box you want to blot out.  

(2) is quicker and easier but will still leave dangling marriage lines.