* Entering home addresses

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
oldbirkonian
Silver
Family Historian: None

Entering home addresses

Post by oldbirkonian » 02 Feb 2006 14:16

Forgive me, I'm a novice user and this query is probably basic in the extreme!  I wish to know the preferred method of entering home addresses for individuals. Frequently the source of addresses (e.g census) is dated and I'd like associate the date with each address change.  The ability to show the time period when an individual was in residence would be useful too. Thanks in advance.

ID:1323

Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V6.2

Entering home addresses

Post by Jane » 02 Feb 2006 15:07

You can use the residence attribute for this and use the standard date range functions to delineate the time in residence.

nsw

Entering home addresses

Post by nsw » 02 Feb 2006 15:20

Use events for this (see the properties dialogue for an individual). I think most people use a census event for census records and this has fields for Place and Address. This tends to be used so that the Place has the town, e.g. Warrington, Lancashire and the address has the house number and street if known.

There is a similar Residence event which can be used to record non-census address information, e.g. addresses given on BMD certificates.

oldbirkonian
Silver
Family Historian: None

Entering home addresses

Post by oldbirkonian » 02 Feb 2006 18:35

Thanks for all the advice, particularly over entering census data.

ganstey
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Entering home addresses

Post by ganstey » 06 Feb 2006 11:59

I use a slight variation to Nick's method. I use a Census event containing just the year and no other information. I'm using it just as a flag that I have that person located in that particular census. I then use Residence attibutes to record where they were, including the entire household in the notes field of the attribute. This allows me to extract all the bits of information from the census entry under the relevant events/attributes.

As always, this is just my way of doing it, and it may not suit the way you work.

Graham