* Merging Trees

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
dhj
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Merging Trees

Post by dhj »

I've just discovered that my Mother is related to my Father ! which means that 360 records will be duplicated if I keep both trees separate. What is the 'etiquette' regarding such situations? Should I keep two trees or merge into one and, if I do the merge is it reasonably safe (I do, of course keep many backups).

Any comments/advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

ID:5980
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Merging Trees

Post by tatewise »

The question is often asked on these forums, whether separate or single trees are best.
You have just made the perfect case for having a single tree.

Given that you have good backups, and that you would naturally work on a copy until satisfied, then the merge should be OK.
Allow plenty of time to complete the merge in one go, because it cannot be done in phases.
Remember to merge not just Individual, but also Family, Source, and all other Records, by selecting the tabs across the top.

You do not say whether you use the FH V4 Project structure, or are using FH V3 standalone GEDCOM.
This might be the ideal opportunity to switch to Projects.
dhj
Gold

Merging Trees

Post by dhj »

Many thanks for the prompt response. In answer to your question, I have both trees as projects and many backup copies of the relevant gedcoms.I am assuming I just (!) open one of the projects and then merge in the relevant gedcom from the other project.

Thanks again for you response.
tatewise
Megastar

Merging Trees

Post by tatewise »

With such a big merge, it might be wise to use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project for your Project, and choose a new name for the joint Project.
Then merge your wife's Project with the new joint Project.

Remember that a Project consists of more than just the GEDCOM file.
Presumably you keep backup copies of your entire Project folder, and also the C:ProgramDataCalico Pie folder of settings.
See Move Family Historian Settings and Scope of Features for details of what is stored where and what each setting affects.
dhj
Gold

Merging Trees

Post by dhj »

OK, I've had a good look around and made copies of everything. I've checked both files individually, there are a couple of anomalies which I have sorted but the main area for change would appear to be sources. In one file I have cenususes (censii?) listed as Census 1841, Census 1851 and so on but in the other file I have 1841 Census, 1851 Census and so on (for some reason). Is there anyway I can rationalise the source to change relevant records to use one or the other (and then delete the not required source names)?

Many thanks for your continued help
tatewise
Megastar

Merging Trees

Post by tatewise »

You can perform a trial run of the Merge, without committing to the Merge, and just using Cancel.
Check the Sources tab, and I suspect it will merge these Census Records, and let you choose which Title to keep.
dhj
Gold

Merging Trees

Post by dhj »

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my earlier message. I did do a trial merge and it intends to create new sources for the 1841 census, 1851 census etc. etc. I can live with it if there is no alternative but it would be nice to tidy up the rough edges by having one source for 1841, 1851 and so on.
tatewise
Megastar

Merging Trees

Post by tatewise »

You are seeing the automatic matching that has been offered by FH.
Select any Current Record, hold down the Ctrl Key and select any New Record, then click the Merge button, and the chosen records will be merged.
How do I know that? - It is in the Help pages.

Please look through the Help for Features of the Merge/Compare Dialog and also the PDF book Getting the Most From Family Historian 4 Chapter 15 Compare, Merge, Split, Copy and Export GEDCOM Files
dhj
Gold

Merging Trees

Post by dhj »

many thanks for the heads up (again) I'll stop and rtfm!

Best regards and thanks again
dhj
Gold

Merging Trees

Post by dhj »

An update for anybody who has to undertake the same task.
This seems to have gone fairly well. I did have some issues with badly worded sources in that they were the same sources but worded differently in two different projects. I'm afraid I cheated a bit here by loading the gedcom up into a text editor (make sure it's a text editor and not a word processor) and undertaking a cut and paste to change the references to the same as the ones in the master file. I didn't know much about gedcoms but discovered that sources are referenced and not actually embedded in individual records so the cut/paste only needed to be undertaken in each source record/space and not all over the file.
All in all I'm pleased with the result and the software handled the merge very well which confirms my decision to buy FH over some of the other software I have used for genealogy over the years.
tatewise
Megastar

Merging Trees

Post by tatewise »

I'm glad the merge went so well.

The point you make about separate linked records is well made.
Each of the Record Types (Individual, Family, Source, Repository, Multimedia, etc) are separate records, that are linked to each other in accordance with the GEDCOM standard.
Thus every Record on each Record Window tab is quite independent, and may or may not be linked to any other Record.

I have found that an understanding of the GEDCOM standard helps to understand the workings of FH.