* Previous marriage of spouse with children

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
beth
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Previous marriage of spouse with children

Post by beth »

Hello

Can someone help me with this problem which I would like to show on my diagram when printed:

Katherine married Alan and had one child

Alan had previously been married to Elizabeth and had two children

Although I have entered Alan's first wife Elizabeth and children in the dialogue box they do not appear when printed or on screen.

I would really appreciate some advice here and thank you.

Beth

ID:6242
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The lower section of the Property Box for Alan should look something like:

Where Elizabeth=Julia and Katherine=Susan
The Children of each Marriage should appear below on the appropriate Spouse tab.

Does your data match this?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Beth,
If the diagram root is Katherine or one of her blood relatives then Alan's first wife and children will not be included. This is because for the purposes of FH a 'relative' is any blood relative or spouse of a blood relative. Under this definition Alan's first wife and children don't count as relatives of Katherine.
If you are using an All Relatives or Descendants diagram with Katherine as the diagram root, change this so that Katherine and Alan as a couple are the diagram root. You can do this by holding down the Ctrl key while selecting both Katherine and Alan in your existing diagram, then clicking on the diagram type you want. Alternatively if you have your records window set up to have a tab for family records you can select the family record for Katherine and Alan from the records window then generate the diagram.
If you are using a diagram based on some other relative of Katherine (for example a descendants diagram based on one of her ancestors) then you can include Alan's first wife and children by inserting a separate small tree for them into the main diagram, using 'Insert into Diagram' > 'Descendant tree'.
Lorna
beth
Gold

Post by beth »

Hello Lorna

Not sure what I am doing wrong here - though I have fiddled around with the diagram but not saved. When I have held the control key down and selected Katherine and Alan, Elizabeth and the children turn up lower down the tree. Must be something I am doing wrong. I also get 'squirls' across the diagram!

Beth
[eek]
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

You should be able to produce an All Relatives or Descendant diagram based in Katherine and Alan as a couple, which will include Alan's first wife and children.
Can you confirm what kind of diagram you are using (e.g. All Relatives? Descendants? Ancestors and Descendants?) and who the diagram root is in your original diagram (Katherine? some other relative of Katherine?).
The 'squirls' you are seeing are probably connecting ribbons linking duplicate boxes. This happens when people are related in more than one way and so appear in more than one place in the diagram. If some of these ribbons are linked to Elizabeth and her children further down the diagram this suggests that she was related to Alan or Katherine in some other way, or had another marriage to someone else in the tree.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This is what an All Relatives Diagram should look like with Alan & Katherine selected as root.

This is Alan's Property Box with Elizabeth selected showing their 2 Children.

This is Alan's Property Box with Katherine selected showing their 1 Child.

Does your data look like this?
beth
Gold

Post by beth »

Hello and thank you for all your advice.

The property boxes are correct and exactly as you have demonstrated. The problem is when I click on the All Relatives Diagram on the toolbar Elizabeth and the two children are not showing on the diagram.

It is probably a setting which is causing the problem...

Elizabeth never shows up at all on the All Relatives Diagram as you have it - don't know why this is.

I am perplexed!

Beth
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Who are you selecting before clicking the All Relatives Diagram icon?

Can you try selecting Alan, then Elizabeth, and then Katherine in turn, and click the All Relatives Diagram icon for each one.
What do you see?

Also while a Diagram is displayed, try using Diagram > Options > Installation Settings.
beth
Gold

Post by beth »

Hello Tatewise!

I appreciate your patience in trying to help me sort this problem out.

Re All Relatives Diagram icon:

When I click on Alan - first and second wife along with children show up correctly. However, there is no expansion button to click on to create the rest of the tree.

When I click on Elizabeth, this does not show Katherine - again no expansion button to create the rest of the tree.

When I click on Katherine, this does not Elizabeth but shows the rest of the tree with all the ribbons and rather a lot of 'wide open space'.

I am wondering if the problem might be because there are several different families (with different surnames) in this tree?

The whole tree would stem from Katherine backwards.

Sorry to be causing much ado over this!

Once again, thanks.

Beth
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

With Alan and both wives displayed did you try using Diagram > Options > Installation Settings button?
If you don't want your current settings disrupted, then UNTICK Save as default bottom left before clicking OK.

Alternatively, check top left that Generations Up/Down are set large enough.

To reveal expansion buttons use Diagram > Expand/Close Branches > Show Expansion Buttons or click the Expansion Buttons icon in toolbar.

Having got the Diagram Options sorted out, use Diagram > Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type and give it a memorable Name.
Thereafter, use View > Custom Diagram Types and select that Name.

Remember, also to select both Alan & Katherine (or Elizabeth) to display All Relatives for both families.