* migratting to FH from TMG

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
raywigz
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

migratting to FH from TMG

Post by raywigz » 25 Sep 2011 22:06

Hi
I am having trouble locating images after creating a new project.
All the image files are now showing in the FH media folder, and I used the remap to other location but just cannot seem to get the files to link
I am using Windows 7 and FH v4
I am no doubt missing something obvious here, can somebody point me in the right direction please?

Regards

Ray

ID:5480

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 25 Sep 2011 23:31

When you say 'All the image files are now showing in the FH media folder' do you mean that in Windows Explorer they have a path like this:
C:\Users\{Username}\Documents\Family Historian Project\s{ProjectName}\{ProjectName}.fh_data\Media\{ImageFiles}.jpg

In FH Work with External File Links is a similar path and all the image files listed, but with an X against each one?

In a Project it is better to use Re-map within Project Data Folder which creates relative paths that automatically adjust if the Project is moved, copied, or renamed.
Whereas, Re-map to Other Location creates absolute paths that must be Re-Mapped every time the path changes.

All this presumes that you have actually linked the Multimedia Images to your Project.
I am not sure if importing from TMG correctly maintains any image links.
Does your FH Project have Multimedia Records?
The Knowledge Base download TMG to FH Gedcom Converter may help.
See http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... _converter
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

raywigz
Platinum

Post by raywigz » 26 Sep 2011 10:41

Hi
Thanks for the reply

Yes,all the image files are now showing in the FH media folder like this:
C:\Users\{Username}\Documents\Family Historian Projects\{ProjectName}\{ProjectName}.fh_data\Media\{ImageFiles}.jpg
and in FH Work with External File Links similar path and all the image files listed,as far as I can tell, some are with an X against them but most are showing a box and the IrfanView red icon/logo.
I ran my Ged file through the TMG to FH Gedcom Converter first before creating the FH Project.
In TMG you can have internal or external links to photos etc. Almost all my linked images were external and still work from the TMG program, so I assume, the links should have transferred with the Gedcom file.
I have been searching for anything relevant in the forums, and help files, but can't find anything specific to what I'm seeing

Ray

PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR » 26 Sep 2011 11:47

If relative paths are used in FH, the path shown in Work with External File Links should look like the following (for the Sample Project):
Note that in this case the path does not start with C:Users... but with Project Data Folder.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 26 Sep 2011 12:02

The fact that FH Tools > Work with External File Links does list most image files without an X suggests that those image file links are OK.

I am bemused by your comment about IrfanView red icon/logo appearing against image files in Work with External File Links.
In my experience only the Multimedia yellow cube icon appears there.
The IrfanView red icon/logo will only appear against image files in Windows Explorer as your default image viewer/editor.

Back to the FH Tools > Work with External File Links image files with an X against them.
You presumably know that the X means FH cannot find the image file at the link location specified.
In Work with External File Links click on any such image filename, and its associated Multimedia Record is listed in the Where Used pane at the bottom.
Double-click on this Multimedia Record to open its contents and the File entry will identify exactly where FH expects to find the file.
Check in Windows Explorer where that file is located, or if it exists at all.

The solution depends on what you discover above, and involves making sure the File link in every Multimedia Record refers to an image file in your Media folder.
The options are:
(1) Move a batch of image files into the Media folder using Windows Explorer.
(2) Use FH Work with External File Links and Re-Map or Edit just the files with an X.
(3) Edit each such File link in the FH Multimedia Records.

When finally resolved I strongly recommend you use the Re-Map button option to Re-map within Project Data Folder to use relative Project file paths.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

raywigz
Platinum

Post by raywigz » 26 Sep 2011 14:51

Hi
Concerning the Ifanview icons, it may help with the image attached. This is what I am seeing.
In Work with External File Links I clicked on an image filename, and its associated Multimedia Record is listed in the Where Used pane at the bottom.
Double-clicked on this Multimedia Record to open its contents and the File entry shows the location where that file is located. Some are not pointing to the FH Media file, but even editing the filepath to the media file and making sure that the image is in there does not open it.In explorer I can go to the location and open the file.

I have already tried moving a batch of files into the media folder, but they only show as the attached (Ifanveiw icon or boxes with an X.

RayImage

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 26 Sep 2011 15:13

Can you try changing the JPEG for jpeg and see if that fixes the ones with irfanview logos.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

raywigz
Platinum

Post by raywigz » 26 Sep 2011 15:37

Hi Jane

Step in the right direction!
changing the JPEG for jpeg for the ones with irfanview logos now lets me see the image in the window that opens after double clicking the file name in the Multimedia Record list.
But in the view all media window it's still the same (empty boxes and Icons.

Ray

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 26 Sep 2011 15:42

Have you tried re-loading the project after changing all the fields over? FH caches the thumbnails so that might be making the Mediaview worse. Also try checking out the Work With External Links tool, which ones show as missing there?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

raywigz
Platinum

Post by raywigz » 26 Sep 2011 16:07

Correction to my last post.
In the view all media window it's only empty boxes that are the same, the Icons are changing to 'thumbnails' of the images. It's just not happening at once. Takes a short time to appear.
So that part seems now to be functioning OK
Incidently some of the images are tifs and the same remedy applies 'TIF changed to tif
That takes care of about half of the images, now I suppose I need to find the missing ones and re attach them (about 56 at the last count, so could be worse!

Ray

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 26 Sep 2011 16:25

Yes, just check the path on the missing ones and ensure they are in the correct folder.

If you have ntfs formatted drives, a program called 'everything' is well worth using when looking for 'lost' files. http://www.voidtools.com/
Jane

raywigz
Platinum

Post by raywigz » 27 Sep 2011 12:53

Thank you for the help with my missing image files.
Things are moving in the right direction now, only a few left to locate and check the path etc.

Also thank you Jane for the mention of the program called 'everything' for 'lost' files, it's an excellent tool to keep on the computer
Regards
Ray