* PDF Files

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
DBAMorse
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

PDF Files

Post by DBAMorse »

Can anyone help.  I've managed to get some census information from 1901 census online, as it didn't appear on Ancestry, and their preferred format seems to be PDF files.  However, when I link the images through GedcomCensus no images appear in FH although it appears as a source.  I could print the image then scan it as as JPG but I wondered if anyone else has worked around this problem.  By the way, the facility in Adobe acrobat for 'grabbing' the image, only produces a very low (illegible) resolution image.
Any help appreciated.

ID:2529
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

PDF Files

Post by NickWalker »

Hopefully you will at least be finding that both Family Historian and Gedcom Census will allow the PDF to be linked and will also allow you to click on the image so that it opens in Acrobat Reader. Unfortunately as you've found, FH won't allow the PDF to be viewed as it would a normal image file, within the application itself.

Googling for 'Convert PDF to Image' or 'Convert PDF to jpg' seems to indicate there are a number of utilities out there that might be able to do the job.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
delwoodman
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

PDF Files

Post by delwoodman »

When you say that the entry didn't appear on ancestry, do you mean that the page you found on 1901online is not present on ancestry at all or merely that the relevant entry was missing from the index? If the latter, then one way of accessing the image in the format ancestry uses would be to enter into the ancestry search box simply the RG reference (including folio number) that should be on the page you found on 1901online (or on the previous page).

HTH
Derek Woodman
Running Windows 7 64 bit
DBAMorse
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

PDF Files

Post by DBAMorse »

Yes I had tried entering the RG number without sucess.  I'm assuming therefore that the complete entry is missing.

Thanks all for your help.