* Danish user leaving Legacy - also with a TNG-site

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
post@stegemueller.dk
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Danish user leaving Legacy - also with a TNG-site

Post by post@stegemueller.dk »

Hello friends

I have used Legacy for 18 years but now ...

I also run a TNG-site, and my primary interest is to use Family Historian on my local PC and exporting GED-files to TNG.

I made a quick test yesterday, and it looked absolutely great!

1) What GED-file version do I have to choose when I make the export from FH and want to import into TNG

2) What plug-ins do I need?

3) How do I handle all the Danish characters on filenames on my images? The test showed, that TNG does not accept the filenames, when they have Danish characters and come from FH.

I asked support, and they answered: "if you have a look at the export plugin, it might well be able to support the conversion. If you ask on FHUG.org.uk the author of the plugin can be found there." I do not understand what that means.

4) The also told, that FH supports Unicode, so it might be a setting in TNG. I have travelled through all settings, but can not find anything telling about Unicode.

I have converted several times before Legacy and know it can be a nightmare. So now I hope, I can get an easier process than those days. Probably programs have changed a lot in those 18 years.
Last edited by post@stegemueller.dk on 12 Jun 2024 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
All the best

.../Hanne B. Stegemüller,
Denmark
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Danish user leaving Legacy - also with a TNG-site

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Hanne.

When migrating from Legacy to FH use the direct import of the Legacy data file (*.fdb) method not GEDCOM.
post@stegemueller.dk wrote: 12 Jun 2024 18:03 1) What GED-file version do I have to choose when I make the export from FH and want to import into TNG
Do not use the native FH GEDCOM file. Instead, use the Export Gedcom File plugin with the TNG setting.
There is help & advice covering all the options. Many FH users here export to TNG.
2) What plug-ins do I need?
You may find many plugins useful but for exporting GEDCOM to TNG see above.
3) How do I handle all the Danish characters on filenames on my images? The test showed, that TNG does not accept the filenames, when they have Danish characters and come from FH.

I asked support, and they answered: "if you have a look at the export plugin, it might well be able to support the conversion. If you ask on FHUG.org.uk the author of the plugin can be found there." I do not understand what that means.
The Export Gedcom File plugin by default uses UTF-8 (Unicode) character encoding for TNG that should support Danish characters in the GEDCOM file. However, I'm not sure about UTF-8 filename support in TNG. Perhaps one of the FH users who export to TNG can answer that question.
4) They also told, that FH supports Unicode, so it might be a setting in TNG. I have travelled through all settings, but can not find anything telling about Unicode.
See the answer above. UTF-8 is the default TNG character code.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
post@stegemueller.dk
Platinum

Hi Mike

Thank a lot for your kind and rapid reply!

I am very glad to read that there are many TNG users here, as I am very keen about my TNG site, that I've worked on for years.

I can see on the site under plugins that there a many - as a newbie it is difficult to choose the best and correct ones 8-)

The filenames on the images normally works fine when they come from Legacy (or well I just make a FTP job and send them to the Photos folder under TNG) I like simple methods ... What went wrong yesterday was, that they were not shown at all. And my TNG site is Danish-UTF8 with character set UTF8 and it is of course the same images.

I hope someone passes by.

So far: Everything looks absolutely great.
All the best

Denmark
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Don't worry about plugins until you are more familiar with FH features.
If you cannot do what you want with FH built-in features, then look for a plugin solution.
Plugins do not change the way FH behaves. They only add an analysis, conversion, or data entry feature.

I suspect that yesterday you used the FH native GEDCOM file, which is not fully compatible with TNG.
The Export Gedcom File plugin converts FH data structures to TNG compatible structures.
I have moved this post to the FHUG Exporting forum where TNG users are more likely to notice it.

See the plugin Help & Advice at https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... edcom-file and the specific TNG advice at https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... generation but don't overlook all the other linked advice pages. The plugin has many options so if the default settings don't work for you then ask here for suggestions.

If you need advice on importing from Legacy then please post in the FHUG Importing forum.
post@stegemueller.dk
Platinum

Hi Mike

Thanks again for you kind reply, and sorry for my late reply. I did not get a notification.

I've spend most morning reading about Family Historian, and it looks great! But also a bit overwhelming with so many possibilities and features. If I can make things work with TNG, I am already thinking about translating FH itself into Danish - but that might be a premature ... 8-)

And thanks also for moving my post to the correct forum. I've ste up a test-TNG-site and I'll do some tests to find out which mistakes I did the other day.
All the best

Denmark
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

post@stegemueller.dk
Platinum

Thanks a lot Helen!
All the best

Denmark
post@stegemueller.dk
Platinum

Hello again

I hope it's okay to ask the mixed questions in this thread. These are the different topics I have found challenges with. Otherwise you'll have to scold me :-)

First: I love FH! It fits my neurodiverse brain perfectly:

1. The image file names worked out great. That problem is solved.
Problem: How do I select a preferred image in FH so that it becomes the thumbnail in TNG?

2. I import the Legacy file by opening *.fdb.
Issue: "citations" are not displayed in FH and of course they do not show up in TNG.

3. I am adopted, so my biological parents are labeled "private" in Legacy and are not allowed to appear in TNG (legislation).
Issue: How do I ensure that they also appear as "private" in FH and never make it to TNG?

4. I am happily alive, but I want to show my own data in TNG.
Issue: How do I mark myself as kind of "dead" in FH?

5. Helen specified the Danish language pack. I have imported -> it appears in Tools -> Language packs.
Issue: How to activate it so that FH's language on desktop is Danish?

This question is more TNG. So if you don't want me to ask it here, I understand and you can let me know. I've tried the TNG forum, they have no suggestions. Maybe I should ask Darrin?

A: On my TNG live page created from export from Legacy, Maps suddenly does not appear. The API key is inserted and I've tried to create a new one, but Maps shows the error message from Google that it's for developers only. The live site: https://tng.stegemueller.dk

B: On the TNG test page: The API key is inserted, but the error from Google does not even appear on people:. Test page: https://test-tng.stegemueller.dk

All the best
Hanne,
Denmark

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
All the best

Denmark
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

post@stegemueller.dk wrote: 14 Jun 2024 09:37 1. The image file names worked out great. That problem is solved.
Problem: How do I select a preferred image in FH so that it becomes the thumbnail in TNG?
In the Individual Property Box, on the Media tab, ensure the Media Pref is 1 by using the small black up/down arrows to move media. Then the plugin will add the _PRIM Y tag when exporting GEDCOM to TMG.
image.png
image.png (77.89 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Issue: "citations" are not displayed in FH and of course they do not show up in TNG.
Other users do not have this problem. It may be some simple setting that needs changing.
Please post this question in the FHUG Importing forum with screenshots of Legacy Citations and where you are looking for FH Citations.
3. I am adopted, so my biological parents are labeled "private" in Legacy and are not allowed to appear in TNG (legislation).
Issue: How do I ensure that they also appear as "private" in FH and never make it to TNG?
As explained in https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... edcom-file under "if a subset of Project data is needed, ..." create a temporary Copy Project and hide/delete what you want to exclude and then use the plugin.
Does the answer above solve this problem?
5. Helen specified the Danish language pack. I have imported -> it appears in Tools -> Language packs.
Issue: How to activate it so that FH's language on desktop is Danish?
Language Packs only affect Charts/Diagrams and Reports/Books. They do NOT change the FH user dialogues.
This question is more TNG. So if you don't want me to ask it here, I understand and you can let me know. I've tried the TNG forum, they have no suggestions. Maybe I should ask Darrin?

A: On my TNG live page created from export from Legacy, Maps suddenly does not appear. The API key is inserted and I've tried to create a new one, but Maps shows the error message from Google that it's for developers only. The live site: https://tng.stegemueller.dk

B: On the TNG test page: The API key is inserted, but the error from Google does not even appear on people:. Test page: https://test-tng.stegemueller.dk
I cannot see any problem with your example site images. Please provide a screenshot of the problem.
What browser are you using?
BTW: Your web licence expired years ago and my Anti-Virus raises a dangerous risk warning.

To post screenshots see the FHUG Knowledge Base > Forum Usage advice under Attachments and Taking Screenshots.
post@stegemueller.dk
Platinum

Hello Mike

Thank you for all your kind answers.
I'll go for and walk and afterwards I'll run new tests.

I thought I had read all documentation ... as example I did not know what a subset was.
All the best

Denmark
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, sorry, if English is not your first language then we may have to explain some of the words.
'subset' means less than all the people or data in your Project.
So in the Copy Project you can remove anything that is not to be exported to TNG and then run the plugin.
After uploading the exported GEDCOM and Media to TNG, the temporary Copy Project can be deleted.
post@stegemueller.dk
Platinum

Yeah, there are some language issues, but they'll disappear quickly. It is just a matter of adjusting to a new set of terms.
All the best

Denmark
post@stegemueller.dk
Platinum

tatewise wrote: 14 Jun 2024 11:03
post@stegemueller.dk wrote: 14 Jun 2024 09:37 1. Solved. I understand.
In the Individual Property Box, on the Media tab, ensure the Media Pref is 1 by using the small black up/down arrows to move media. Then the plugin will add the _PRIM Y tag when exporting GEDCOM to TMG.
image.png
I've post this question in the FHUG Importing forum
3. Issue: How do I ensure that they also appear as "private" in FH and never make it to TNG?
I'll wait till the Import issue is solved
Does the answer above solve this problem?
I'll wait till the Import issue is solved

A&B Maps in TNG

A. I send a screenshot with the Map Key and the missing map.
B. Now the missing map is also shown on the test site.

I use Firefox as primary browser. I also tested in Chrome and Edge. The maps are not shown anywhere.

My web licence is epirede? What do you mean? I use the domain every day and run a very active site with many users and much traffic.

I use Bitdefender as security. It does not argue.
Skærmbillede 2024-06-14 200510.png
Skærmbillede 2024-06-14 200510.png (12.31 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Skærmbillede 2024-06-14 200400.png
Skærmbillede 2024-06-14 200400.png (129.35 KiB) Viewed 537 times
All the best

Denmark
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I can now see the Google Maps error message asking if you own the web page.
I think you need to discuss this with TNG or your web host service. It is not an FH problem.
post@stegemueller.dk
Platinum

You are right. It is not an FH issue.

I'll start with my host. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
All the best

Denmark