* Linking to *citation* in Research Note?

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
KayCee
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Linking to *citation* in Research Note?

Post by KayCee »

I generally make heavy use of linking to sources in my research notes, which is a feature that I love.

For this particular note, I'd like to link to a specific citation instead, and I simply can't figure out how to make it work.

Anyone know of a solution or workaround?
KFN
Superstar

Re: Linking to *citation* in Research Note?

Post by KFN »

If you are talking about true Reseach Notes, I don’t see a way to add a source. If you are talking about Notes then.

When you use the term “citation” are you talking about a template based citation that uses a GEDCOM Source_Record in the database, or a GEDCOM Source_Citation structure similar to a fact Source_Citation?

If this does not make sense, then I’m not sure what you mean.

Source_Citation structures are not “shareable”, while Source_Records are “shareable”.

What I do is open the NOTE using View>Other Records List>Notes. Find the note you want to add a Source_Record to, then right click the NOTE>Add Field>Source. A list of Source_Records will pop up and select the Source_Record. Most templates source citation have all of their data in this record.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In short, it is not possible because links can only be made to records (Individuals, Families, Sources, etc.) and Citations are not records but simply a component field.

The best you can do is describe the specific Citation in terms of its associations to a Source record and whatever it is cited against, e.g, a Fact, Name, Individual, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
KayCee
Gold

Post by KayCee »

KFN -- yes, a Shared Research Note. There's a button at the top-right for Add Source Citation, and one of the options is Cite Existing Source. Most of my sources are done with splitting, so I can reference a specific page of a specific census, for example. When I Publish the Research Note, it provides endnotes linking to all of the different sources.

Tatewise, that's exactly what I feared. I have a family history book that I've lumped as one single source record, with citation-specific details for the relevant page numbers. If I can't link my Research Note to the page number via the citation, I'm going to have to split out hundreds of different pages. How fun! :?

Thanks for the confirmation that I wasn't just missing an obvious answer!
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Is the book a media object linked to the source? If so would linking to that at a specific page rather than going via the citation work for you?
John Elvin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Instead of splitting out hundreds of different pages, you can do as I suggested.
Link the Research Note to the lumped Source record and add the Page numbers as text alongside.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry