droesler
Family Historian: V7

Marriage Dates

Post by droesler »

I have cloned a Birth, Marr, Death template and have the following:

=FactText(%INDI.BIRT%,"C0","E_Born: ")
in %INDI.BIRT.PLAC%
<gap>
=FactText(%CUR~FAMS>MARR%,"C0","E_Marr: ")
in %CUR~FAMS>MARR.PLAC%
<gap>
=FactText(%INDI.DEAT%,"CT","E_Died: ")
in %INDI.DEAT.PLAC%
<gap>

What is not working is that in a divorce the husband box shows a Marr: <date>, but the (ex)wife just shows the Place, not the Marr: <date>. What would the =FactText() look like such that Marr: <date> appears in both.

Both individuals have the same marriage date and both are flagged as divorced.

Thanks
Last edited by tatewise on 13 Apr 2024 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Marriage Dates

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

I have tried using your Text Scheme Templates but cannot reproduce the symptoms you describe.
Either the date & place are displayed or neither are displayed. I cannot get just the place displayed.

Why have you chosen to use both the =FactText(...) function and in %CUR~FAMS>MARR.PLAC% separately?
Try using =FactText(%CUR~FAMS>MARR%,"CT","E_Marr: _ in _") which displays both the date &/or place.

If that does not work then please provide more details such as:
What type of diagram is being used: Ancestors, Descendants, All Relatives, or what?
What settings have you used for Box Types and Conditions below the Template for the Marriage item?
Are the married couples ancestors or descendants of the Diagram Root?
Does 'flagged as divorced' mean the Property Box Spouse tab Status is Divorced or there is a Divorced event?

Sometimes screenshots of the Text Scheme Item and the Diagram boxes are more informative than descriptions.
See FHUG Knowledge Base > Forum Usage under Attachments and Taking Screenshots for advice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
droesler

Post by droesler »

Thanks for the response.

I'm new to FH7 (still in the trial period) and looking through a lot of the documentation to understand templating.

I'm using two different directives because I wanted the Place value on a separate line. I could have made the boxes wider to have the all of the text on a single line, but I think the boxes would have gotten pretty wide. I didn't see any way to construct "E_Marr: _ in _" with an embedded NL in front of the ' _in_ ' part. Also, to me, with the 'in...' part on a separate line it makes the info in the box more readable.

The chart is an Ancestors and Descendants diagram with Orientation set to Left-right. I first noticed this on Descendants of the root couple (my maternal Grandparents) and wasn't really looking at their Ancestors at the time.

I believe this has been resolved by grouping the =FactText() line and the ' in ....' line. This resolves the Place without a marriage date on one of the spouses. It still isn't clear to me how it picks which spouse the married info goes on, but it looks to involve whether it is a divorce or not, which one was the direct descendant, etc.

This is the section for Birth, Marriage and Death.
image.png
image.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 153 times
This is the template I'm using to show only the Birth year if the individual is still living.
=TextIf(IsSet(%INDI.DEAT.DATE%),FactText(%INDI.BIRT%,"C0","E_Born: "),FactText(%INDI.BIRT%,"Y0","E_Born: "))
It took me awhile to figure out you don't put the '=' in front of functions inside a condition :-(
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I understand better now what you were trying to achieve.
The cause of your original problem is the Box Types and Conditions settings.
They determine which spouse the married info goes on.

In your screenshot, the Box Types column summarises those settings.
They must be the same for both the Marriage item and the in %CUR~FAMS>... item.
Otherwise, the text displayed will not apply similarly to all boxes, which is what you observed.

So, select the Marriage item and use the ++ Clone Line button below to duplicate the item.
That ensures the Box Types and Conditions settings are consistent.
Then edit that new item to change the Template and tick Group with previous item.

That should resolve the problem reported in your original posting.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
droesler

Post by droesler »

Thank you !! So much to learn.