* Deleting living people before exporting GEDcom

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Ella
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Deleting living people before exporting GEDcom

Post by Ella »

I wish to upload my tree to Ancestry but need to delete living people. I have FH V7. My husband and I have spent many fruitless hours trying to do this. I have the FH manual and have read posts by other users but get as far as getting a list of living people but are unable to delete them en masse. I have started to do it individually but not only is it time consuming but I am worried I will miss somebody. I really need step by step instructions (ie an idiot’s guide). Would be very grateful if somebody could help me.
Ella
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Deleting living people before exporting GEDcom

Post by tatewise »

Hopefully, you are working in a copy of your Project, otherwise, the Individuals will be permanently deleted.

Is your list of records to delete in a Named List?
If so then right-click its name and choose Delete Listed Records...

See FHUG Knowledge Base > Delete One or Many Records.

Please explain the purpose of uploading to Ancestry. Is it to just get 'hints' or to share with others?

There are plugins that can make either of those options easier to manage.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Another way to do this is to use the Export option and use the query to select the people you want to upload instead.

You might find this article from the Knowledge base helpful as creating a web site poses the same problems as creating a privatised file to upload to Ancestry or other data sharing site.

FHUG Knowledge Base > Build a Website
Last edited by tatewise on 30 Mar 2024 10:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Improved KB link
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is an excellent article with much good advice.
However, it omits the recent Ancestry Synchronization plugin designed specifically to obtain 'hints' on Ancestry.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 30 Mar 2024 10:46 However, it omits the recent Ancestry Synchronization plugin designed specifically to obtain 'hints' on Ancestry.
It might have been quicker to fix the article than post here to say it needed doing.
Ella
Silver

Post by Ella »

Thank you for help given but am still having no success. Yes, I am working on a copy. The purpose is solely to upload my tree to Ancestry. I have used the “query tab” “new custom query (alive in 2024). Then I get ticks by appropriate names. But I can’t seem to work out how to make it into a named list.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

On the gear wheel menu select Add row records to Named List.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Ella
Silver

Post by Ella »

I have clicked on the cog wheel and selected add row. All that happens is it asks me to select a name, then tells me that name doesn’t exist to select a new one, when I do I just get a big plus sign, and that’s it.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Screenshots might prove helpful in this situation, so Jane and Mike can see what you're doing.
Ella wrote: 30 Mar 2024 15:32 I have clicked on the cog wheel and selected add row. All that happens is it asks me to select a name, then tells me that name doesn’t exist to select a new one, when I do I just get a big plus sign, and that’s it.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I suspect you are being asked for the name of the "Named list" you want to use and you have not created one.

So put in a name you want and then tell Family Historian to create it.
Jane
Ella
Silver

Post by Ella »

Thank you all for your help. I think I’ve cracked it. Will put it away for this evening and have a look tomorrow to make sure I’ve grasped it. Thanks again for your help.