* Electoral Register Title

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
kenfig
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Electoral Register Title

Post by kenfig »

Having struggled to setup an Electoral Register template in AS I find when saving to Family Historian the title changes.

The title in AS reads as follows:- Electoral Register 1928 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England (Mary Readon),

but within FH it's altered to 1928 UK census, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England, head of household: Mary Reardon.

Is the a reason for this or am I missing something in the setup?

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Mike
Mike Sheppard
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Electoral Register Title

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Mike

It sounds like you are using FH v7 templated sources and are using a Family Historian Census template, presumably the 'Essentials Collection Civil Census Return'. The definition for the record title for this template is:
image.png
image.png (20.36 KiB) Viewed 284 times
When you use Templated Sources the title for the source is controlled by the record title definition for the source template as shown above. The title generated by AS is ignored.

So really the 'correct' thing to do is to use a more suitable source template from the essentials collection or create one to your own specification in Family Historian (and then link to that in AS).

If you really do want to use the census source template then it is possible to change a setting in AS so that the title generated by AS is permanent and not updated by the title template in FH although this is not really recommended. This is under tools->Options->General Settings->Template Source Title Generation. You would set this to 'Generated by AS: no update in FH'. However, be aware that this change would affect all sources created so this may have consequences for the consistency of your source titles.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
kenfig
Gold

Post by kenfig »

Thank you Nick, I'm sure you are correct. However, I find my knowlege of creating a suitable template & linking it to AS, hard to get my head around. I must try harder.

Thanks again
Best wishes
Mike
Mike Sheppard
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Mike, try the Essentials > Directory/List template which specifically supports electoral rolls.
Select that instead of the Census Return template for AS Electoral Register entries.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
kenfig
Gold

Post by kenfig »

Thank you Mike, I wasn't aware of this particlar template & have found it does most of what I wanted.

Many thanks again
Mike
Mike Sheppard