* My Heritage Data Subscription

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
GeneSniper
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

My Heritage Data Subscription

Post by GeneSniper »

Hi All

I got an email from CP offering a half price Data subscription to My Heritage. I can't seem to find what I would actually get for this subscription and as a bye the bye is it worth having the Data subscription or is it better to have the Premium?
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
ADC65
Superstar

Re: My Heritage Data Subscription

Post by ADC65 »

There's a comparison chart here which tells you what you get for each package: https://www.myheritage.com/pricing. It appears the 'premium' packages are about having a family tree rather than access to records.

Also note that the first year subscription is reduced from £129 to £79 by default, so the "50% off" offer from Calico Pie is really a reduction to £64.50 - an 18% saving.

In regard to what records they have, you have to do a bit of digging. They appear to have the usual stuff - USA & UK Censuses, UK BMD, etc. If you have a subscription to one of the other big sites it doesn't appear worth switching, unless you want to save some cash for a year. They may have some less well-know sets, like the Nordic censuses, but if you were using these I guess you'd already know where they are available.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

We are not allowed to give an opinion on the commercial practices of another company, so I won’t…

However, it does look like My Heritage are promoting their wares at the moment. At least one other major genealogy app currently has a (slightly different) unique offer, which also makes the comparison with full price not the discounted first year sub.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This was discussed at length when CP made a similar offer last year. See My Heritage (22230) topic.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

It appears that most genealogy-related companies are "hungry" and offering large price reductions. Perhaps the increase in the cost of living and the consequent decrease in discretionary spending is causing people to forgo purchases and subscriptions. I actually received a 60% reduction offer for the MyHeritage subscription, but I had found about as much as I could on the site before I let my subscription lapse. So, I didn't bother with it.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

There has been a recent change to UK law, whereby customers renewing an insurance policy must be offered the same terms as are available to new customers.

Perhaps we should have the same for genealogy sites to avoid the annual cycle of haggling renewal terms… :)
Mark Draper
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Mark;
That brings interesting thought to mind. As most genealogy-related companies now do business internationally, who's laws apply?
Gary Gauthier
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

For consumer-facings matters (B2C), the local law in the market they are operating in. For B2B contracts, the contract will state which law applies.
Mark Draper
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks for the explanation, Mark.
Unfortunately; Canadian laws for such transactions currently seem a bit "foggy".
But; that would explain why other countries/regions sometimes get "deals" that we don't.
I think the 60% off deal that was offered to me was just to try and entice me to renew my subscription.
Around the same time I saw other advertised special offers that never exceeded 50% off.
Gary Gauthier
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Thanks all,

Guess I'll just miss this one out, all of the new information I find on My Heritage comes from family trees so I need one of the Premium accounts and not sure it would be worth paying the extra.
William

Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Mark1834 wrote: 24 Mar 2024 14:12 There has been a recent change to UK law, whereby customers renewing an insurance policy must be offered the same terms as are available to new customers.

Perhaps we should have the same for genealogy sites to avoid the annual cycle of haggling renewal terms… :)
We’re partway there - there is also an offer (but not to FH users) for five years fixed price renewals at the discounted initial price, but again only for new subscribers, not renewals.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mark1834 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 14:10
Mark1834 wrote: 24 Mar 2024 14:12 There has been a recent change to UK law, whereby customers renewing an insurance policy must be offered the same terms as are available to new customers.

We’re partway there - there is also an offer (but not to FH users) for five years fixed price renewals at the discounted initial price, but again only for new subscribers, not renewals.
I got it on a renewal. But I was being bolshy about the DNA facilities they'd removed...
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

I had MyHeritage try and talk me into the 60% off and a guaranteed price for 5 years, when I cancelled my subscription a while back. They were pretty hungry to retain people. Unfortunately; the 60% off was not for the 2-5th year as well. I just couldn't see my way clear to paying their full price at any future time. Like Helen; I was also not impressed with my past experience with them changing the available features of a subscription after I had signed up based on a known set of features.
Gary Gauthier
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Ended up taking the 1/2 price deal just to see if their new collections were going to help me any further. After a quick look I realised and thought I'd chance my arm and ask for a refund and lo and behold My Heritage offered to upgrade me to Premium Plus. So win for me this time.
William