* Merging Citations in FH7?

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
MFriend
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Merging Citations in FH7?

Post by MFriend »

Hi Folks:
I know how to merge sources in FH. I have a new file created originally in FTM 2019 from my brother that is using lumped sources. The problem is that (for example) he might have 3 different 1900 census' on the same fact. The source is the same for all three, but each has a different citation (mostly from Ancestry and Familysearch). So while the source is the same the links and citation is different.

I don't think its possible, but is there a way in FH 7 to merge the citations, or does it have to be done copy and paste manually? (It would be really nice if there was a way to do a merge like on other forms of data in FH7.

Thanks,
Matthew
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Merging Citations in FH7?

Post by tatewise »

The only data items that FH allows to be merged are the 11 Record types, e.g. Individual, Family, Note, Source, etc, as per the tabs in the Records Window.

FH cannot merge subsidiary fields within a Record such as Names, Facts and Citations.

It is not obvious to me how the fields within a Citation could be merged anyway.
How would you merge the Where Used or Text From Source fields, etc, if they refer to different sources?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 18 Mar 2024 10:41 It is not obvious to me how the fields within a Citation could be merged anyway.
How would you merge the Where Used or Text From Source fields, etc, if they refer to different sources?
Matthew has said there are facts which have multiple citations to the same (lumped) source.

The content of some fields could be concatenated, perhaps with 'and' in the middle, if they are different. (But I agree it's not something FH could do.)
Lorna
MFriend
Famous

Post by MFriend »

Thank you Lorna and Mike, that answers my question.
MFriend
Famous

Post by MFriend »

Hi Folks
I have a related question. If I use the plugin to convert from lumped to split sources (like my other trees) then merging sources could work correct? I ran a test and it seems if all the data is in the source area (including media, etc.) then merging appears to be easy? (I tried a couple and it seems to work like I want unless I'm missing something.)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is correct because they are standalone Source records and Edit > Merge/Compare Records... handles them.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry