* Generate an exportable list of Source Templates

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
fhtess65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Generate an exportable list of Source Templates

Post by fhtess65 »

I would like to export a list of my Source Templates as sorted by Update date. I know how to view the list, but can't figure out how to export it - is there a way?

Why would I like to do this? Because I find it frustrating when adding a new source that the list of templates doesn't appear in update order, so if I have something to refer to outside of FH, I'll know which one to use. I don't dare delete those I'm no longer using as some will still have citations attached and I don't currently have time to go through and fix all that.

Thanks! :D
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Generate an exportable list of Source Templates

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Try creating a custom Source Template Query.

Use =LastUpdated() for the Updated column.
t4ms
Platinum

Post by t4ms »

fhtess65 wrote: 16 Mar 2024 18:10 Why would I like to do this? Because I find it frustrating when adding a new source that the list of templates doesn't appear in update order, so if I have something to refer to outside of FH, I'll know which one to use. I don't dare delete those I'm no longer using as some will still have citations attached and I don't currently have time to go through and fix all that.

Thanks! :D
I might have misunderstood you completely so please ignore this if I have.

As you know, I've been playing around with source templates since FH7 was introduced and I've also had this problem.

I copy all of my 'settled' source templates into a separate collection with a different name. When you import (I presume that's what you're doing?) into a new project your old templates will appear but not in the source template definitions via the tool box (unless they have exactly the same name) when you are using your settled source templates. Your source template list can be sorted via collection and I leave them be until I'm ready to deal with them.

Having a settled source template list also prevents me from using a template I no longer want to use.

I hope this makes sense!

Tamara
The footnote would seem to be the smallest detail in a work of history. Yet it carries a large burden of responsibility, testifying to the validity of the work, the integrity (and the humility) of the historian, and to the dignity of the discipline.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Teresa, some techniques avoid you needing a separate list.
  1. If you sort the Source Template records in the Records Window the way you want them then that is the order they will be presented when you want to select a Source Template.
  2. In the Select Source Template Record dialogue you can use the Updated column to sort into your preferred order. Move the Updated column further left so it is visible in the dialogue without scrolling.
Any Source Template with Links = 0 is not used so can be safely deleted.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks, Helen - I tried, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Thought I had it, but could only select one template at a time...

Queries remind me of math and my brain freezes.
ColeValleyGirl wrote: 16 Mar 2024 18:51 Try creating a custom Source Template Query.

Use =LastUpdated() for the Updated column.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks, Mike - that did seem to work, though oddly, I was sure that's how I had them sorted before...Either way, at least now I know for the future :)
tatewise wrote: 16 Mar 2024 19:13 Teresa, some techniques avoid you needing a separate list.
  1. If you sort the Source Template records in the Records Window the way you want them then that is the order they will be presented when you want to select a Source Template.
  2. In the Select Source Template Record dialogue you can use the Updated column to sort into your preferred order. Move the Updated column further left so it is visible in the dialogue without scrolling.
Any Source Template with Links = 0 is not used so can be safely deleted.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Good idea to copy into a separate collection. Thanks for the suggestion!

But, no, not importing to a new project, though I may end up creating a new one after cleaning up my templates.
t4ms wrote: 16 Mar 2024 19:03 <SNIP>

I copy all of my 'settled' source templates into a separate collection with a different name. When you import (I presume that's what you're doing?) into a new project your old templates will appear but not in the source template definitions via the tool box (unless they have exactly the same name) when you are using your settled source templates. Your source template list can be sorted via collection and I leave them be until I'm ready to deal with them.
<SNIP>
Tamara
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
t4ms
Platinum

Post by t4ms »

fhtess65 wrote: 17 Mar 2024 15:08 Good idea to copy into a separate collection. Thanks for the suggestion!

But, no, not importing to a new project, though I may end up creating a new one after cleaning up my templates.
Ah! Gotcha.

I'd definitely create a custom collection for your source templates. If you're going through stages of source templates I highly recommend creating a custom collection for the year or whatever.

For example, my 2022 custom template collection was superseded by my 2023 custom template collection which was superseded by my Tamara custom template collection (which I'm now happy with).

It's a good way to keep track of things and, even better, if you've only made minor tweaks you can always merge templates.

Have, um, 'fun'???!!!!

Tamara
The footnote would seem to be the smallest detail in a work of history. Yet it carries a large burden of responsibility, testifying to the validity of the work, the integrity (and the humility) of the historian, and to the dignity of the discipline.