* Saving Queries

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Ken Drake
Silver
Family Historian: V5

Saving Queries

Post by Ken Drake »

When I have produced what I want on the screen I can see a "Save" button and I can also see CTRL+S for Save but neither give me the option to name what I want to save and I have no idea where it is being saved. The point of saving is to be able to get at it again and be able to send it to others by email or print ot out at a later date.
Why can I not produce a Descendents Outline which I I was able to do but cannot now see how to.
Do answers to my queries come via email? That would be easiest for me as trying to find anything in this maze leaves me frustrated.
Ken Drake
neil40
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Saving Queries

Post by neil40 »

I notice you are on v5, so not sure if it's the same, but in v7 you go to the Query button, then New Custom Query... at which point you name the query.
Once done, you can get back to it from the same Query button > All Custom Queries.... and your created query will be there to run.
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Saving Queries

Post by LornaCraig »

Ken, are you asking how to save a custom query so that you can run it again (which Neil has assumed) or how to save the results of the query? Or do you mean you have queries (questions) about saving things in general?

The ‘Save’ button in the main toolbar just saves the Gedcom file, which is probably not what you are asking about.

When you say you have ‘produced what I want on the screen’ are you referring to a diagram? Or a report? You say you want to be able to send it to others, so if it’s a diagram use Diagram> Save Diagram AS... > PDF file. For a report use the Save Report As... button to the right of the report and choose PDF file. In both cases the file will be saved by default to your Family Historian Projects\<project name>\Public folder, but you can browse for a different folder before saving.

I’m afraid I can’t remember how to access the Descendants Outline Report in V5 but someone else may be able to help.
Lorna