* Questions about AS Keywords and User Templates

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Questions about AS Keywords and User Templates

Post by Gary_G »

I've a few questions about things I can't seem to get to work for me in AS v 7.8.6:

1) Can’t seem to set the following documented keywords as the value of a census template field:
⁃ KEYPERSON.AGE (Covered in another post. I understand just needs to be enabled in a future release.)
⁃ YEAR (in documentation, but doesn't seem to work when assigned to a template field.)
1) Is there a keyword to describe the role of the KEYPERSON and which can be assigned to a template field?
2) If the pull-down roles-list of the form doesn't cover a specific role, can one add the role? If so; how?
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
neil40
Superstar

Re: Questions about AS Keywords and User Templates

Post by neil40 »

Gary,
By 'Role' in your last point, do you mean Occupation or have you added 'Role' to a custom template?
I've only used standard UK templates, and in Occupation I will simply add the one I am transcribing from the image I have downloaded.
Perhaps I misunderstand your meaning?
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Neil;

I meant to refer to what is sometimes called the relationship to the head of the house.
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Gary

KEYPERSON has a lot of functionality for non-census types but for the census source type it was really just designed to have a few sub-tags that people might want to include in a source title. So it just supports various name formats, ID, CustomID and Gender. I could potentially add support for Age, in a future update but there would have to be an Age column on the chosen template for this to work. I'm not sure what you mean by the 'role' of the key person (Edit: just seen your response to Neil so I do now). Do you mean the relationship - head, wife, son, etc? In which case no there isn't a sub-tag for that (but again could potentially be in a future version). You can edit the drop-down list of relationships by editing the column in a particular census template. You can also just type whatever you like into the column in the census grid so if the value is something unusual and doesn't warrant editing the template you don't need to do so.

For the {YEAR} tag if the census Year field contains a year (number) it displays that value. Otherwise it uses the year element of the date entered in the census Date field.

I hope this helps

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Nick;

Thanks for the method of adding/editing the role/relationship column content. I'll give it a try.

Having template access to the "relationship" or the age would be useful when the source title oe citation needs to call attention to a specific person in the census of a family. The need to do this usually arises when the desired person is not be the key person, but may have the same name as the key person.

I discovered that the Keyword button on the source template editor does not appear to inject the keyword name into the currently highlighted field. Unfortunately; when I then typed it in manually, I didn't capitalized the keyword. When I discovered that the keywords are case-sensitive and fixed the, it worked.

----

About the only remaining issue I'm now facing is how to get the {SYSTEM.DATE} (e.g. 3/3/2024) )to display in the format "dd mmm yyyy." I'm not sure if AS can format it that way when filling in a template field or if the template has to do the "formatting" of the value that AS places in the template field.
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Gary_G wrote: 03 Mar 2024 21:18 I discovered that the Keyword button on the source template editor does not appear to inject the keyword name into the currently highlighted field. Unfortunately; when I then typed it in manually, I didn't capitalized the keyword. When I discovered that the keywords are case-sensitive and fixed the, it worked.
The Keyword button does inject the keyword into the field that has the focus or at least it does for me?
About the only remaining issue I'm now facing is how to get the {SYSTEM.DATE} (e.g. 3/3/2024) )to display in the format "dd mmm yyyy." I'm not sure if AS can format it that way when filling in a template field or if the template has to do the "formatting" of the value that AS places in the template field.
No unfortunately there aren't any sub tags for SYSTEM.DATE. Something else I could look at in a future version.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Odd... The year injection didn't work for me, but at least I can type it in.
Gary Gauthier