* 1939 Register labelled as Census - why?

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
fhtess65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

1939 Register labelled as Census - why?

Post by fhtess65 »

I've noticed when using AS to create 1939 Register entries, that the fact is labelled in the Property Box as a Census. Why is that and can I change it?

Or is it something I'm doing wrong?

CensusNotRegister-Why.jpg
CensusNotRegister-Why.jpg (178.57 KiB) Viewed 470 times
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
brianlummis
Superstar

Re: 1939 Register labelled as Census - why?

Post by brianlummis »

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

You are not doing anything wrong. It is shown as a census because AS uses the census fact type. You can change the display in the facts tab by using Tools > Fact Types > Census > Edit > Advanced and in the Summary Template field enter

{=TextIf(GetDisplayText(%FACT.DATE%,min) = "29 September 1939","National Register","Census")} {place}

Then the facts tab will show National Register for the 1939 ones but Census for everything else.
You can similarly modify the sentence template. Mine is

<para>{individual} was recorded in the {=TextIf(GetDisplayText(%FACT.DATE%,min) = "29 September 1939","National Register","census")} {date} <at {address}> {place}
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the Knowledge Base article that Brian referred to suggests much the same with slightly different expressions and gives a full explanation of why the use of the standard Census Event is recommended.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

The 1939 register is really a census in all but name but for a different purpose. A census is an official survey of the population of a country. In AS by default the 1939 register template uses the census fact but you can change this in the template (Tools->Census Templates): you could have it create residence fact instead or use a custom fact if you wish.
image.png
image.png (44.07 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Lorna's suggestion (or in the Knowledge Base article) is probably the best thing to do if you're happy for it to use a census fact but just want to change the wording.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks, Lorna - I edited as below, plus the sentence. Really appreciate the help!
LornaCraig wrote: 01 Mar 2024 16:50 You are not doing anything wrong. It is shown as a census because AS uses the census fact type. You can change the display in the facts tab by using Tools > Fact Types > Census > Edit > Advanced and in the Summary Template field enter

{=TextIf(GetDisplayText(%FACT.DATE%,min) = "29 September 1939","National Register","Census")} {place}
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks - I should have checked the KB *sigh*.
brianlummis wrote: 01 Mar 2024 16:33 Maybe this will help Family Historian Census Event for UK 1939 Register
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I have read it now...Will remember next time to search the KB first.
tatewise wrote: 01 Mar 2024 17:04 Yes, the Knowledge Base article that Brian referred to suggests much the same with slightly different expressions and gives a full explanation of why the use of the standard Census Event is recommended.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks, Nick - I had noodled around in there, but wasn't quite sure what to do and didn't want to make a mess! For now I've gone with Lorna's suggestion.
NickWalker wrote: 01 Mar 2024 17:11 The 1939 register is really a census in all but name but for a different purpose. A census is an official survey of the population of a country. In AS by default the 1939 register template uses the census fact but you can change this in the template (Tools->Census Templates): you could have it create residence fact instead or use a custom fact if you wish.

Lorna's suggestion (or in the Knowledge Base article) is probably the best thing to do if you're happy for it to use a census fact but just want to change the wording.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I asked about this before, thank you Lorna for finding the solution, it looks better now.
:D :D
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I prefer to call it Electoral Register. I would like to add here that this was used to create the NHS list of names when it was formed in 1948

Victor
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

You're free to call it whatever you want, of course, but I would say that 'Electoral Register' is a misnomer as it wasn't used to register people for elections, either when it was created or later. It's name at the National Archives is '1939 Register' although elsewhere it is called '1939 England and Wales Register' as it only included those two locations. As Nick says, it is a census in all but name, and I prefer to treat it and name it as such in my records.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England