* Exporting from FH on windows to FTM2019 on a Mac

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
Sandy15
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Exporting from FH on windows to FTM2019 on a Mac

Post by Sandy15 »

I currently use FH on a Windows 11 laptop. I have exported my FH tree to Family Tree Maker 2019 on a Mac (OS Sonoma) using Mike Tate's Export Gedcom File, which I understood would also allow the media to be exported. The data has exported but, unfortunately, the media has not exported to FTM. The media titles and a media icon for each do show in the record for each person, where media exists.

My Windows 11 laptop syncs with One Drive and the file path leads me to think this is why the media has not exported.

The media file path on the laptop is: One Drive>Sandra-Personal>Pictures>Family History Pics>.

The Project Folder file path is: OneDrive>Sanddra-Personal>Documents>Family Historian Projects>Sandra's Tree>Sandra's Tree.fh_data>Media.

On Family Tree Maker 2019 on the Mac the file path on the 'find and link missing items' is: C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sandra's Tree\Sandra's Tree.fh_data\Media\

I presume the image file path needs to be changed on the Windows laptop prior to using the Export Gedcom File to allow the images to be exported. Would Mike, or someone else, be able to advise me how I should proceed as I am not at all sure what to do now to see the images. I should add that access to One Drive is also available on the Mac. Many thanks for helping.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Exporting from FH on windows to FTM2019 on a Mac

Post by tatewise »

I suspect you are not migrating the appropriate files to FTM.

The following assumes you have used the default plugin settings.

The exported GEDCOM and media files on the Windows 11 laptop should be somewhere in the folder:
OneDrive\Sandra-Personal\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sandra's Tree\Public\Export
That folder is shown near the bottom of the plugin Basic Options tab.

The GEDCOM filename in that folder should be Sandra's Tree FTM UTF8.ged
All the media files should be in that folder too regardless of where they were in your original Project.

If you copy the contents of that Export folder and import it into FTM then all the media should be OK.

I think you are not doing that as the FTM folder involves Sandra's Tree and not Sandra's Tree FTM UTF8
My guess is that you are migrating the original Project GEDCOM and its Media links will not work on the Mac.

Check the plugin Help & Advice pages for more details.

BTW: I would like to understand the FTM import commands because I cannot afford to buy a copy.
Thus the Help page Export Gedcom File (FTM) Family Tree Maker 2019 lacks those migration details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Irrespective of an individual’s financial circumstances, it’s hardly reasonable to expect them to purchase additional software just to help others.

There are plenty of regular contributors here who are familiar with FTM. How about contacting Mike offline and offering to work with him to improve the KB documentation? It would be an appropriate way of paying back for the help he has undoubtedly given you in the past…
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have to admit that yesterday I was a little economical with the truth. :o
My objective was to clarify the export process involving the ...\Public\Export\ folder.
However, in your case, there is both an export process and a migration process to another (Mac) machine.

Let me explain the complications of migration. If you already know them then bear with me. It may help others.

Imagine migrating FH Projects from one PC to another PC. I think you have had to do that in the past.

FH has some useful features that simplify the process. It looks like FTM may have something similar.
It helps if all the Media files are held within the FH Project folder in the Media sub-folder.
The Media record File link paths are relative to the Project and FH auto-completes the root path to find the files, i.e.
OneDrive\Sanddra-Personal\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sandra's Tree\Sandra's Tree.fh_data\Media
If the Project folder is copied to another PC the relative path is unchanged but the root path will be different.
However, FH knows the new root path and automatically uses that to locate the files.

In your case, the media files are outside the Project folder, so the Media record File links include the root path.
When the Project folder and separate media files are copied to another PC the root path will be different.
So all the Media record File links become broken but the Tools > External File Links... command has fixes.
The Auto Repair Links button searches for files with the same filename and adjusts the root paths.
Alternatively, the Re-Map... button allows the root paths to be manually corrected.
FTM seems to have a similar Media > Find Missing Media... command. See my later posting.

The same complications apply when migrating the exported FTM GEDCOM from the Windows laptop to the Mac.
The GEDCOM Media record File links include root paths for the laptop that refer to:
OneDrive\Sanddra-Personal\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sandra's Tree\Public\Export\...
However, on the Mac they need to refer to the root path:
C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sandra's Tree\Public\Export\...

So how can that root path complication be resolved? I offer two solutions below...
However, they are only needed if the FTM Media > Find Missing Media... command does not repair the links.

1) At the end of running the Export Gedcom File plugin choose the Windows Notepad option to open the GEDCOM file in the Notepad text editor.
Use Edit > Replace... to Find what: Windows root path and Replace with: Mac root path and replace all.
Then use File > Save and File > Exit to close the editor. Now the project should import to FTM OK.

2) This only works if you have a Windows emulator installed on the Mac so that you can run FH.
Follow the FHUG Knowledge Base guide to migrate the Project from FH on the laptop to FH on the Mac.
Then use the Export Gedcom File plugin in FH on the Mac. Now the root paths will all be Mac compatible.
So importing to FTM will work fine.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Mark, the problem of migrating to FTM is fundamentally a file path issue just as it would be with FH.
It does not need me to run FTM to fix that problem.

However, my plugin Help & Advice has no instructions for importing the exported GEDCOM into FTM.
That is the only feedback that I need from any FTM user. I have to admit I had forgotten it was missing.
It is exactly the same scenario as how I obtain the TNG import instructions from TNG users.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have just searched online and it looks like FTM has a repair broken links feature similar to FH.
So simply use the Export Gedcom File plugin and import the GEDCOM from the ...\Public\Export\ folder into FTM.
Then use the Media > Find Missing Media... command and Select All and then Search to repair the links.
See https://support.mackiev.com/311088-Usin ... or-Windows

image.png
image.png (184.09 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Sandy15
Gold

Post by Sandy15 »

Thank you for your reply, Mike. In the Export folder there is Sandra’s Tree FTM UFT8.ged as well as the Media folder. I imported the GEDCOM into FTM as I thought the media was in the GEDCOM but, if that did not contain the media, do I now need to try and import that separately into FTM or copy the media folder to the Mac?

Alternatively, as I have been able to import the data to FTM, would it be an easier solution for me to copy the media files used in FH to the Mac using OneDrive or iCloud? I would then have to move them to the media file within the FTM programme.

With regard to your reply yesterday, I used the FTM command Media>Find Missing Media to find out the file path for the media which showed the windows file path and not one for the Mac.

Unfortunately, there is not a Windows emulator or virtual machine on the Mac I am using,

As much as I would like to help with the import commands for FTM, I don’t think I have the expertise or experience you would need. Hopefully another user can offer assistance.

I thought it might help you to know that today I have paused One Drive and created a copy of my tree entitled Sandra’s Tree (2) which I have used as the source for the plug-in ‘Export GEDCOM.’ In the …Documents>Family Historian Projects>Sandra’s Tree 2>Public>Export folder there is a folder entitled media which contains the project media. However, the GEDCOM I created is not in the Export folder but is, instead, in the fh.data folder beneath the Snapshots folder. The Media file is also moved to the fh.data folder beneath the Log Files. The GEDCOM filename has changed to Sandra’s Tree (2).ged and did not transfer as Sandra’s Tree 2 FTM utf8.ged although that name is given in the plugin. I did set the plug in to create a gedcom for FTM.

I have imported this tree (Sandra’s Tree 2) into FTM and the information screen tells me all data is imported and all media, but again only the file names of the photos, etc. show in the programme. Again, the find and link missing items file path is given as before, ie C:\Users\sandr\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sandra's Tree\Sandra's Tree.fh_data\Media\.

I don’t know if this information is of any help to you, Mike, but I have saved the notepad information and can let you have it if you are interested.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think you misunderstand the FH Project folder structure so I'll give a short tutorial.

Let me use the Sandra’s Tree (2) Project.
The FH Project folder on the Windows 11 laptop is:
OneDrive\Sanddra-Personal\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sandra's Tree (2)\

All the following folder & file descriptions are within that folder.

The FH Sandra’s Tree (2) Project GEDCOM file is defined below:
...\Sandra's Tree (2).fh_data\Sandra's Tree (2).ged
The FH Sandra’s Tree (2) Project internal media files are held in the folder:
...\Sandra's Tree (2).fh_data\Media\
That is the standard FH Project structure and has nothing to do with what the Export Gedcom File creates.

The Export Gedcom File plugin creates the following:
...\Public\Export\Sandra's Tree (2) FTM UTF8.ged GEDCOM file for FTM.
...\Public\Export\... holds media files linked to that GEDCOM.
Those are what must be migrated to the Mac for import to FTM.

GEDCOM files do NOT contain media files. They exist completely independently.

How are you transferring that last set of files from the Windows laptop to the Mac?
Can you use OneDrive and see the GEDCOM and media files on the Mac?

As I tried to explain the migration process requires some extra changes before the media will import to FTM.

Please confirm that you can find all the folders and files described above so we can move on to the next step.
Sandy15
Gold

Post by Sandy15 »

Hello Mike: I can see the Export folder on One Drive on the Mac. It contains Sandra's Tree (2) Std UTF8.ged. Perhaps I have been having problems because I have been emailing the GEDCOM to myself and retrieving it on the Mac!
Sandy15
Gold

Post by Sandy15 »

I can also see all the media files individually.

I confirm I do understand the file structure you have kindly shown me and also that there is a further step required to add the media to FTM.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, that explains your problems. Emailing the GEDCOM won't copy all the media files!

On the Mac run FTM, use the File > Import as New Tree command, and in the Choose File to Import window, go to the location of your Sandra's Tree (2) Std UTF8.ged GEDCOM file and open it, then complete the dialogue.

That will create the FTM tree but the links to the media files will be missing because they are still referring to the Windows laptop folders that we discussed earlier.

So now use the Media > Find Missing Media... command that I posted yesterday and the Search should find the media files in the Mac folders by matching their filenames.

Let me know whether that works or not.
Sandy15
Gold

Post by Sandy15 »

I am sorry I have not replied sooner but it has been a busy week. I have followed your instructions and completed the dialogue to change the GEDCOM file path, followed by 'save' and 'close', before importing to FTM. The Media folder in FTM shows an icon to represent the image and gives the title and number of the image beneath. The Media folder informs me the file is not found although it shows the new file path, but the Find Missing Media tool has failed to find the images.

I have also copied the images into a folder in Pictures on the Mac which I am able to match with the icons manually, but as there are approximately 800 images to link I had hoped to automate the procedure.

Having spent quite a lot of time trying to get my head around this, I now think the tech is beyond my experience and capability. I therefore feel I should abandon trying to link the media automatically and fall back on doing this manually as and when I have time to do so.

Thank you very much for all your help, Mike and I really do appreciate the time you have given to this problem.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did the media image files appear in the OneDrive folder on the Mac alongside the GEDCOM you imported to FTM?
With 800 image files, it will take a while for them all to migrate from the laptop to the Mac.

What is the 'new file path' you say the FTM Media folder is showing?
It should be very similar to the file path where the imported GEDCOM is located.

I think a little more persistence should find a solution which must be faster than manually linking 800 images, especially as you will have to repeat the process every time you wish to migrate updates from laptop to Mac.

This is a plea for assistance from any other FTM users who migrate GEDCOM from FH. HELP!
Sandy15
Gold

Post by Sandy15 »

As I became so frustrated with my inability to work out the media problem, I disconnected OneDrive from the Mac because I thought this was adding to my confusion. I have decided not to re-connect OneDrive to the Mac as I use iCloud as a back-up for the Mac files. I also removed the trees from FTM, which had been imported when I was trying to sort out the media problems (there were several), so that I could start again with a ‘clean’ programme. I then imported a new GEDCOM to FTM which shows the data, as before, but only media icons with titles. Searching for missing media in FTM did not result in the images being linked with the icons.

The main file structure for Documents on the Mac is:
Macintosh HD/Users/myname/Documents/

Under Documents the folders I have are:
Documents – this folder holds all my personal folders and files.
Family Tree Maker which has the files given below:

Sandra’s Tree FTM UTF8_AutoBackup.ftmb
Sandra’s Tree FTM UTF8.ftm
Sandra’s Tree FTM UTF8.ftm.import log

Sandra’s Tree FTM UTF8.ged - this stands alone, not within FTM.
Zoom – for files related to Zoom.

As you can see, the GEDCOM file has not imported into the main FMT folder. Does it need to? There is no Export folder shown, either, but the import log summary confirms there are 2036 individuals, 660 families, 1079 sources, 858 media, 15443 records, 1 error.

Do you think this new GEDCOM has been corrupted?
Can I move the GEDCOM file into FTM to add it to the other three files?
Can I add an Export folder to FTM and move the media into it from the file I have already copied to the Mac (the images have the same numbers as in the GEDCOM).

Thank you for your time and patience.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Sandra’s Tree FTM UTF8.ged GEDCOM file has not been corrupted and should stay where it is.
It has been imported perfectly to FTM to create the Sandra’s Tree FTM UTF8.ftm FTM tree.

The only things missing are all the media files exported from FH.
They are not embedded in the GEDCOM file. They are a separate set of files. Probably mostly JPG files.

On the Windows laptop, they are in the same export folder as the Sandra’s Tree FTM UTF8.ged GEDCOM file:
OneDrive\Sanddra-Personal\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sandra's Tree\Public\Export\...
Those filenames should match the missing files that FTM is trying to find.

For example, the Family Historian Sample Project has the media files shown below.
Notice how their filenames all start with a number, the letter O, and another number.
image.png
image.png (93.26 KiB) Viewed 437 times
All your ...\Sandra's Tree\Public\Export\ media files must be copied to the Mac. Have you done that?
Are they in the same folder as the Sandra’s Tree FTM UTF8.ged GEDCOM file?
Sandy15
Gold

Post by Sandy15 »

You will be very pleased, as I am, that I now have the media showing in FTM! I copied the Export folder from FH (on the laptop) to a memory stick, which I then plugged into the Mac. On the Mac I dragged the Export folder into the Family Tree Maker folder in Documents before opening the programme and running the 'Find Missing Media' tool. After a short time the media now shows in the FTM programme.

I apologise for taking so much of your time, Mike and hope I don't need to trouble you again. This has been a huge learning curve, which is always of benefit. Many, many thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Phew! :D
That is an excellent outcome. Onwards and upwards.