* How do I set up a "place" independently?

Questions about managing place and address information, and using maps and geocoding
Lindankle
Gold
Family Historian: V7

How do I set up a "place" independently?

Post by Lindankle »

I have a photo of a person taken in front of a building or location.
I want to link it to the location/building.
The location /building is not in any personal record but is important to the whole story.

I've read through the Help and Knowledge Base.
TBH - I'm struggling overall!!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: How do I set up a "place" independently?

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Go to the Records Window via
image.png
image.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 303 times
. It's worth exploring as you can do a lot from there, if you haven't explored it already.

Select the Places tab, right click in some white space and choose New Place.

You should think about how you want to include the Place in Reports etc. as it won't show up in the common reports if it isn't linked to a person (via a Fact). Let us know what you want to achieve and we can make some suggesstions.
Lindankle
Gold

Post by Lindankle »

Thanks Helen
appreciate your help and I'll give that a go.
The places will be linked to people - for instance:-
The house my father built with his father - but also the location of it, because they lived on the land in a caravan first. The house is now demolished.

I'm quite computer literate - I create websites as part of my income. I'm finding the instructions relate more to professional ( or hardcore amateur) genealogists. I can see that I could be doing this a lot more accurately with records and citing etc, but I'm playing the game of getting as much down as possible before the last relatives leave this planet! And I need just enough information to keep the story alive. For now.

I'm also having a lot of problems printing out the chart. I can't seem to place them within say an A3 sheet which I can print at home. I try and read the Help to no avail. Most of the family just want to see the printed "everyone" chart. When I print to PDF I don't seem to have much control. I'm on the verge of taking snips( jpg screen shots) and stitching them in Adobe Illustrator. Surely I don't have to do that?

Yikes - sorry - overwhelmed - yet enjoying it :)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I suggest raising a separate query re printing (I'm not an expert, and it could get lost in this thread).

To link a Place to a person and have it show up in a report, it really needs to be linked via a Fact. So you may want to create a custom Fact (many people use a 'Biographical Note' or something similar) to handle the connection. I know you're focussed on getting as much down as possible while the original sources are still around to talk to you, but you don't want a huge amount of rework to be able to get the information out in a usable format.
Lindankle
Gold

Post by Lindankle »

Thanks - I'll mooch around the print FAQs and queries.
Took me a while to find your suggested link - now have found it.
Thank you.

I'll check out "facts" as well

Appreciate your help

Linda