* After upgrade questions

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
Trivvie
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

After upgrade questions

Post by Trivvie »

My questions are at the bottom but I just want to give you what I have done/understood so that it reduces what you might have to type by way of reply.

I have just upgraded from 6.2 to Version 7 today (from the Family Historian website). I had backed up my folders before hand in more than one place and had also run Back up restore Family Historian for Windows. I had also read the Knowledgebase about upgrading but do find that to be so comprehensive that it keeps having other links and you go to that link and it sends you somewhere else and before you know it you have forgotten where you started from and thus confusion set in.

I have looked around the new version without making any changes. I have read and understood that:
1. the project box can be restored from previous version direct from the property box and have seen how to do it and it already shows my customized titling in the property box as I expected
image.png
image.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 263 times
2. I can keep using source generic data before trying the templated sourcing (trying out in the sample project) if I choose to.
3. Queries will need to be checked when run but certainly a couple of them I tried were ok.
4. Plugins are disabled until I check to see if they need to be updated.
5. I have checked the start up and backup default folders are set.
6. I have run a couple of reports and diagrams and they look fine.

My question is: Do I run the Restore part of the Backup and Restore now so that all settings are restored to wherever the upgrade might have made changes in places like registry and other hidden places in Windows 11 and is there anything further I need to do?

Thank you
Liz
now version 7.0.22
Liz
FH V7.0.22
Jane
Site Admin

Re: After upgrade questions

Post by Jane »

Quick answer to the restore is NO. If the install changed anything it needed to, so restoring the old ones is more likely to harm than good.

You might want to review
https://www.fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/w ... version-7/
with regard to sources.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

Thank you for your prompt response.

I am just trying to take this slowly and carefully before making mistakes I regret.
Liz
FH V7.0.22
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

That’s correct - in fact, the plugin won’t let you restore the backup from a different version of FH, as they are not compatible.

Where you would use it is where you are migrating to a new PC at the same time. Here, you would install FH6 on the new PC first, then run the restore to get the new FH6 looking exactly like the old one.

Finally, you would upgrade the new PC to FH7, similarly to what you have done here, and allow the FH installation process to manage the transition.
Mark Draper
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Taking a backup now of the upgraded installation would be a smart move in case you mess anything up while finding your way around the new features.
John Elvin
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

Thanks bith Mark and John. I had just thought about doing that back up setting before I opened the topic again to see if any other answers.

Phew...I am working on the right wavelength this afternoon.

Liz
Liz
FH V7.0.22
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

I see you've update your version in the profile but your signature still says 6.2
John Elvin
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

jelv wrote: 17 Feb 2024 15:48 I see you've update your version in the profile but your signature still says 6.2
Done, thanks
Liz
FH V7.0.22
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Almost! The current version is FH V7.0.22 :)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry