* Setting up a query on Places

Questions about managing place and address information, and using maps and geocoding
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Setting up a query on Places

Post by rfj1001 »

I've got a series of DNA matches that I can't yet connect via BMD's, etc.. However they do live in the same area in the US - the Catskill Mountains. That isn't a place name as such but I've got the counties and towns that are in that area.

Is it possible to set up a :
  • combined expression for Place 1, Place 2, Place 3, etc in the boxes section of Diagram options where I can then set a box-fill feature or
  • a query to set a flag called "Catskill Mountains".
The output would be a list of people where, one or more facts on their individual record had one of or more of those named places.

At the moment I'm not even sure where to start :(

Many thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Setting up a query on Places

Post by tatewise »

Searching for Fact related details such as Place and Address is almost impossible except in a Fact type Query.
So the Diagram Boxes tab Conditions are not feasible.

Model a custom Query on the standard All Facts query which already lists Place names.
Then on the Rows tab add filters to include the Facts whose Place field matches your Place name criteria.
You may need further help with that to ensure the criteria are robust.

In the Result Set select the Fact Owner columns and use Menu > Add Selected Cell Records to Named List.

The Diagram Boxes Condition can then use the =IsInList() function.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Thanks Mike - very helpful.

Using a separate "Add if %FACT.PLAC% contains" expression for each of the three towns/counties in the Rows window, I've now got a list of about seventy five people and that is now a Named List.

I can reduce that list of most likely DNA matches further by restricting date of birth to the range 1850-1890 and then to two or three specific surnames.

I'm not sure how to achieve this. I've played around with the Exclude Unless function but I've had no success.

Any thoughts ?

Many thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is technically tricky because the Query is focused on Facts rather than Individuals.

The starting point is to use the =FactOwner(%FACT%,1,MALES_FIRST) column expression.
That gives you the Individual record whose Birth Date you want to check.
The Expression: =Field( FactOwner(%FACT%,1,MALES_FIRST), 'INDI.BIRT.DATE' ) references that DoB.
To extract the Year use Expression: =Year( Field( FactOwner(%FACT%,1,MALES_FIRST), 'INDI.BIRT.DATE' ) )
e.g.
image.png
image.png (25.67 KiB) Viewed 208 times

Duplicate that for is greater than 1890 and repeat both for FactOwner(%FACT%,2,MALES_FIRST)

Is there always a Birth Date recorded or might there only be a Baptism Date?
It might be better to involve the EstimatedBirthDate() function.
e.g.
=Year( EstimatedBirthDate( FactOwner(%FACT%,2,MALES_FIRST), MID, 2) )
That will use the DoB if it exists or the Baptism/Christening date or a date estimated from close relative's dates.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Thanks Mike,

That gave me a list of a dozen people and I could then visually scan for the potential surname matches I needed.

Yourr help is much appreciated

Robin