* Customise individual box in tree diagram

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
Jos
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Customise individual box in tree diagram

Post by Jos »

This is probably elementary and must have been asked hundreds of times, but I cannot find it. I think I even knew the answer about a dozen years ago, but I have forgotten - as I have much of what I learned about FH in far off days.

I have a descendants diagram with a standard Birth (date, place), Marriage (date, place) and Death (date place). However, I want to create a tree for a particular year - when some of the people in it are very much alive. So for these people I want to delete the death line, and obviously I also want to eliminate the marriage line for those people not yet married. Is there a simple way to do this by editing the box without affecting the entire diagram?

My version of FH is 6.2.7.

Thanks in advance
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Customise individual box in tree diagram

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this to the Diagrams & Charts forum.

You should not need to do anything. If a person does not have a Marriage or Death event then those events are automatically omitted from their box on the Diagram.

Have you not simply experimented to see what the Diagram for that year looks like?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

I think the question is more about a point in time!

For any given year in history, what were the BDM for the people in the tree?

If they were not yet married or dead in 1900 what would the tree look like?
They would have death BDM info for today, but what would it be based on 1900?

That is what I think the OP asked!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah, Yes! I did not see that interpretation.

So in Diagram > Options > Text tab, select the Text Scheme you are currently using and click Clone... to create a custom copy to be edited.
Click Edit Text Scheme... and in Used Items select each event in turn and click the Edit button below.

The current Template for the Death event is probably like =FactText(%INDI.DEAT%,"CT","E_Died: _ in _")
So one solution is to edit the Template to be conditional on a year.
=TextIf( %INDI.DEAT.DATE:YEAR% < 1900, FactText(%INDI.DEAT%,"CT","E_Died: _ in _"), )
i.e. If the Death Date Year is before 1900 then display the event.

However, that would mean editing many events each time you want to change the Year.
So I suggest you create a new Note record to hold the Year of interest.
Then the Template would become:
=TextIf( %INDI.DEAT.DATE:YEAR% < TextToNumber(Record(4,"N")), FactText(%INDI.DEAT%,"CT","E_Died: _ in _"), )
i.e. If the Death Date Year is before the Year in the Note record with Rec Id 4 then display the event.
Substitute 4 with whatever Rec Id your Note record happens to have.

Now you simply change the Year number in that Note record and the Diagram will automatically change to omit all the events after that Year.

Other Templates would be such as:
Burial:
=TextIf( %INDI.BURI.DATE:YEAR% < TextToNumber(Record(4,"N")), FactText(%INDI.BURI%,"CT","E_Buried: _ in _"), )
Marriage:
=TextIf( %CUR~FAMS>MARR.DATE:YEAR% < TextToNumber(Record(4,"N")), FactText(%CUR~FAMS>MARR%,"CT","E_Marr: _ in _"), )

It gets more complex for Individuals born after the Year of interest because their boxes have to be hidden.
Jos
Gold

Post by Jos »

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl this evening - though it looks quite daunting!
Jos
Gold

Post by Jos »

KFN wrote: 14 Feb 2024 17:47 I think the question is more about a point in time!

For any given year in history, what were the BDM for the people in the tree?

If they were not yet married or dead in 1900 what would the tree look like?
They would have death BDM info for today, but what would it be based on 1900?

That is what I think the OP asked!
Exactement!
Jos
Gold

Post by Jos »

@tatewise

Well, I had a go but it was not a success. I wonder whether the computer language has been changed since my version of FH? To start with, mine does not like the "=" sign at the beginning. Will produce nothing with that, so deleted it. I took your solution adapted to my text scheme but ended with a mess. Then I copied your line wholesale and inserted it, and again it was not recognised. So I deleted the "=" and then got the following:
image.png
image.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 471 times
You will see I have some of the code in the output, and the conditional IF statement is not working. Is it a question of the language version or something else? Sorry to come back on this as I don't want to consume your time. I also wondered whether an IF statement required a further output, as in in an Excel formula: If this, then that, if not then something else?
Last edited by tatewise on 16 Feb 2024 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correctd Attachment formatting
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I overlooked that you are still using FH V6.2 :oops:

The =FactText(...) function is not available in that version as it was introduced with FH V7.0
That is why you are having no success.

So your original Death Template is probably more like this:
Died: %INDI.DEAT.DATE:COMPACT% in %INDI.DEAT.PLAC:TIDY%

So the revised Death Template will be more complex than my proposal like this:
=TextIf( %INDI.DEAT.DATE:YEAR% < 1900, CombineText( "Died: ", %INDI.DEAT.DATE:COMPACT%, CombineText( " in ", %INDI.DEAT.PLAC:TIDY%, , ), ), )

See how the components of the original Template become embedded in the revised Template.

However, I cannot be certain about the revision required without knowing what the original Template used.
If you look in the Text Scheme from which you Cloned this revised version then that will have the original Death Template expression.
Jos
Gold

Post by Jos »

@tatewise

That is brilliant! Thank you very much
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did you see my earlier suggestion about replacing the Year number with a link to a Note record?
i.e. 1900 becomes TextToNumber( Record( 4, "N" ) )
where 4 must be your Note record Rec Id and the Note text holds the Year number.

Then all the facts that depend on a Year can be changed to a different Year just by editing the Note record.
Jos
Gold

Post by Jos »

I did, and I looked into it. However, I could not find what or where a Note record was, and decided it was little enough work just to change the date in the Edit box - or have I misunderstood something?

I am only ever going to change a maximum of three items (birth, marriage, death) in any given diagram - I don't cram info into them as they are crowded enough already. I use tree diagrams to illustrate family relationships at a glance, while all the details of their lives are given in the text.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Open the Records Window and then select the Notes tab which lists all Note records.
Then use the Add > Note Record command and edit its Text content to hold the desired year.

The Records Window is an extremely useful shortcut to all the various types of Record. The clue is in its name.
See Tools > Preferences... > Records Window tab and set all Record Type Display Options to Always Show.