* Import from TMG – missing multiple links to same image-file

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
torivar
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Import from TMG – missing multiple links to same image-file

Post by torivar »

Still a newbie getting to know FH and preparing the move from TMG to FH. (TMG 9.0.5, FH 7.0.22).

In TMG, I have a number of images (“exhibits”) of valid format/size. Some of them are of type “family photos” where I have the same image as exhibit for multiple people (i.e. all the people in the specific image).

The issue:
When I do “direct import” to FH, I get all the media files represented and displayed FH. However, when e.g. looking at Media > Media List, I see one row (record Id) for each individual having a link to an image. I.e. the same image (e.g. jpg-file) is listed as many times in the Media list as the number of persons having this specific image as exhibit in TMG. This also means that the column “Links” is 1 for all records in the Media List.
I would have expected (or “wanted”) to have each image listed once (one record), and having multiple links to that record.

Looking at the FH GEDCOM, it looks like there are multiple objects like this for the same image-file, instead of one, and then having multiple links to the specific object:

0 @O871@ OBJE
1 FILE C:\TMG Data\Exhibits\Media\Bilder\xxx\yyy.jpg
1 TITL my_img_title
1 FORM jpeg
1 NOTE Keywords: Picture

Any idea on how to fix this / workarounds?

My images in TMG and import settings:
All images are external in TMG, using a directory structure developed over time.
When importing from TMG to FH, I want to keep my directory structure and thus I DON’T tick of “Copy any linked multimedia files into the new project folder (recommended)”. Maybe I’ve missed something, but I can’t see other ways of keeping the directory structure for my images. Other than that, I keep the default settings for the GEDCOM import.

Thank you!
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Import from TMG – missing multiple links to same image-file

Post by tatewise »

FH is supposed to avoid such duplicated Media records when importing the same Media file linked to multiple Individuals. It was a major problem for many years until theoretically fixed in FH V7.0.17.1.

It may be an idea to report that problem to CP via their https://support.calico-pie.com/open.php Support Centre Ticket System.

However, the Check for Possible Duplicate Media (FH7) plugin is designed to detect and merge such Media records.

Regarding the external directory structure of your Media files, it is not clear whether you have a problem, or whether the structure has been retained as requested. Judging by your posted sample GEDCOM it seems the structure has been retained.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
torivar
Gold

Post by torivar »

Thank you for this quick reply.

Yes, the directory structure is retained (or more precisely FH is using the same directory structure with the same root as when in TMG) when not ticking of the box “Copy any linked multimedia files into the new project folder (recommended)”. If I DO tick off that box, the images are copied to the FH media root and flattened, i.e. not keeping the directory structure from TMG.

Thanks for pointing me to the duplicates media plugin. I'll give it a try.

And sure, I'll post a ticket to CP.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You might also complain to CP about the folder structure not being maintained when the copy option is ticked in the TMG Direct Import mode.

However, there are potential complexities.
It is straightforward if all the Media files have a common root folder such as your C:\TMG Data\Exhibits\Media\
The structure below the TMG Media folder can easily be replicated in the FH Media folder.
But what should FH do if the external Media files are dotted all over the disc?

Maybe, if the copy option is ticked then FH should prompt for the folder that should have its contents moved into the FH Media folder. Any Media files elsewhere would get flattened into the FH Media folder.

FYI: When importing a GEDCOM file, if it sits in the folder above the external Media folder, then the Media folder substructure is replicated when the copy option is ticked. It has been that way ever since very early FH versions.
That ability seems to have been lost in the Direct Import mode which is far better in all other respects.
Perhaps that point should be made when you report to CP.
torivar
Gold

Post by torivar »

I filed a ticket at CP just before your last reply. And a very quick response from second-line suport!!

FYI, CP responded as quoted below on my reference to what you said was "theoretically fixed in FH V7.0.17.1".
That is not correct. The change in 7.0.17.1 was nothing to do with importing. It related to adding media to an existing FH project. We could in principle look at doing an automatic record merge during an import from TMG or other software, but it is potentially tricky to do it during an import because when you merge records decisions have to be made about what to keep and what to discard. If the same image has multiple descriptions, for example, in the original TMG file, which do you keep? Or do you keep all of them and merge them all into one? There is an argument to be made for saying that it is better to do it post-import, so you be sure of being able to bring everything in (don't have to discard anything) and the user can exercise more control over the merge process. Nevertheless, we have noted the issue and will think about it further. Meanwhile, I recommend you look at plugins in the Plugin Store to correct the situation
Having said that, the plugin works like a dream, and doesn't add much extra work in my workflow.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The reply from CP does make sense. I wondered if that might be their position.
Before FH V7.0.17.1 it created multiple copies of the actual Media files as well. So that aspect is fixed.
Yes, the plugin is designed to handle your scenario.

However, please do ask CP about retaining the Media folder structure.