* Downloading

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Downloading

Post by Johnr65 »

When I download a transcript it seems to become an Opera document whereas before my pc reset it went into a nicer document that I could enlarge to any size? Is it possible to change this to the original?
neil40
Superstar

Re: Downloading

Post by neil40 »

Johnr65 wrote: 11 Feb 2024 16:03 When I download a transcript it seems to become an Opera document whereas before my pc reset it went into a nicer document that I could enlarge to any size? Is it possible to change this to the original?
John,
Is this FH related? Is it a transcript from a Genealogy website such as Ancestry/FindmyPast etc.

If so, the post isn't really relevant here, as the the 'Using Family Historian' and sub-forums are for questions about the use of FH.
My apologies if I've mis-read your post.
That said, what are are you downloading from where, and to where are you saving it. If you go to that downloaded location in File Explorer - what does it tell you you have downloaded? Perhaps a JPG, or TIF file?

It helps if you could give as much detail as possible on what you are doing. Previously, are you able to remember what was opening the file? Is this another similar case to a file opening with a different application, as was the case with the PDF question you asked about recently?
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Ron Melby »

we first need to know what the extension of the document is. likely Opera became the default opener.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Yes it downloads as a jpg and as Opera.
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Johnr65 wrote: 15 Feb 2024 16:53 Yes it downloads as a jpg and as Opera.
OK John, so same advice as your PDF viewer post, you need to open your Settings and choose what you want to open jpg files.
If that was something that hasn't been re-installed, like the Acrobat Reader app, you'll need to re-install it first.
Already installed apps might included 'Photos' or 'Paint'

You can also right click on any jpg file and select Open With > Choose another app then tick the always open with option
Here's an example:
Rosser 1.jpg
Rosser 1.jpg (56.45 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Rosser 2.jpg
Rosser 2.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Neil Grantham
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Yes but it's never that simple on my PC! There are different types of apps shown that mean nothing to me? For instance where is the Download app?
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Johnr65 wrote: 16 Feb 2024 11:59 Yes but it's never that simple on my PC! There are different types of apps shown that mean nothing to me? For instance where is the Download app?
There is no such thing as a download app.
Files, whether they are pictures, documents or installation files (.exe) will be downloaded by your browser of choice, usually to your Downloads folder.
You use Opera I believe. It's not one I have on my system, so couldn't say where it downloads to by default, but would imagine it was your downloads folder - EG C:\Users\<username>\Downloads - as that is why it exists!

I presume "There are different types of apps shown that mean nothing to me" is a reference to following right clicking on a picture to choose an app?
Can you not remember what pictures opened with before your PC was rebuilt?
I don't know what version of Windows you have, but if it is 10, the default image viewer is usually 'Photos', so you could chose that from the list when you select "Open With > Choose another app"
Neil Grantham
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Yes I've set it as Photos for now,