* Adding Ship Pictures

Questions about using and managing media in FH
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Adding Ship Pictures

Post by ColinMc »

I have created a custom Fact for "Travelled" , and amongst the data I capture is the ship name and line, saved as note labels.

I would like to add a picture of the ship to some of these entries, but not sure of the best way to do it. So far, I have been adding it to the Individual's Media tab.

However many of these ships feature with multiple individuals.

Does anyone else capture ship info, and if so how?

Thanks

Colin
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: Adding Ship Pictures

Post by AdrianBruce »

It's ... erm ... interesting.

I'm looking at a chap who served in the RN during WW1. I have images of most of his ships ("stone frigates" excepted) and they are linked to the relevant Military Service facts (the value of the attribute is the name of the ship in question). I just bring up the Media for the Fact in question and drag and drop the ship's image there. (Edit the Media item to set captions etc, etc).

The description of the ship gets added to the Note for that Military Service fact so that if / when I print off a narrative report for him, everything is in one place, in chronological order.

When two people are on the same ship (e.g., husband and wife), things can get messy. If I add the technical description and image to both people's Emigration facts (or whatever), then, as you've probably realised, if I print a narrative report for the couple in its most basic form, the description and image are (maybe?) repeated for both parties NB - I am not sure that this will always be the case for images - it may depend who they are linked to - I don't have enough examples of repeats to investigate.

If I confine the technical description and image to only one person's Emigration fact, then Murphy's Law will dictate that I want to print the other person.
Adrian
Jean001
Famous

Post by Jean001 »

I would add the picture as a Media Record. If I gather some information about a ship I would create a Source Record, link the Media Record to that, and link the Source Record to the Fact. If I don't gather information on the ship, I would link the Media Record to all those Source Records that mention the ship.

I rarely use reports so I don't know the effect of this on them.
Jean
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

I would agree with the approach described by Adrian above.

You have the fact and any individual might end up with multiple instances so attach the Ship photo as Media to each fact. On the Media record within Family Historian you can add a date for the photo (if you have one) and any notes you feel worthy to the Media record.
Last edited by Vyger on 11 Feb 2024 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will ponder these thoughts before deciding.

Colin
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

ColinMc wrote: 11 Feb 2024 10:57... I will ponder these thoughts before deciding. ...
Including, I suggest, trialling your favourite outputs - no use me talking about narrative reports (e.g.) if you don't use them...
Adrian
Robert Jacobs
Famous

Post by Robert Jacobs »

I agree with Adrian. One's desired output should weigh heavily on the decision.

There are many immigrants and more than forty ship images in my data. My main output is a web site constructed with GedSite. I attach the ship images to the immigration fact in FH7. The site's viewers can then click on the icon next to the fact site and see the ship image; another click returns on to the appropriate person page.

The site accommodates a section called "The Crossing" with a link to a page with all the ship images.

I had to deal with the problem of ships used more than once — either for multiple people, multiple vopyages or both. In those cases I have had to duplicate the the image file, setting off one copy by adding "NOSHOW" to the file name. GedSite can filter by file name so duplicate images don't appear.

Here's a link to the page: https://genarchives.com/NineGenerations ... _ships.htm. It's still a work in progress. I plan to add something of each ships history as time permits.