* individuals duplicated on chart

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
dianesf
Silver
Family Historian: V6

individuals duplicated on chart

Post by dianesf »

I need help "merging" duplicate individuals on chart. The individuals are not duplicated records. I tried "hiding" Hoyle Lapham on left and Mary Keese on right, that did not work. They are 3rd cousins who married. Their son, Richard Lapham, should be in the middle under his parents.

Thank you in advance.

Diane
Attachments
duplicate ancestor on chart
duplicate ancestor on chart
Picture2.jpg (40.25 KiB) Viewed 391 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: individuals duplicated on chart

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to your first FHUG posting Diane.

There is very little you can do about that family tree structure where cousins have married.
FH insists that both cousins must be shown in their own family group with their own parents.

It only seems feasible to merge them because the parents happen to be so close, but that is often not the case.
You cannot even drag the couple to sit over one another.
Imagine if their great-grandparents Richard & Anna had several more children between William and Anna.
Their descendant families would be displayed down between the married cousins so they could never be merged.

The best you can do is to hide one instance of their son Richard.
If he had a spouse and any descendants then they would have been duplicated too, and one instance would get hidden when one Richard is hidden.

Sorry, but that is the way it is by design.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dianesf
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Post by dianesf »

Thank you for your explanation. I believe, Richard Keese and Anna Hallock had 12 children. I am limiting my research to direct ancestors.

I tried to import the GEDCOM from MyHeritage to Family Historian, but only 2 records displayed. I am now manually adding each ancestor to FH, one by one. Alas there are more than a hundred.

Diane
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Diane, I see that you asked a question about this in the FH group/mailing list. Mike replied to you there, giving a link to the advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base about importing from MyHeritage. Did you look at that?

It should be possible to export a Gedcom from MyHeritage and import it to FH if you go about it the right way. Mike knows a lot about importing/exporting Gedcoms so he may be able to help, saving you a lot of work entering everything manually.

By the way, if you look at Diagram Options > General tab you will see that when 'Check for Duplicates' is selected there is a button to its right leading to more options. One of the extra options is to 'Hide duplicate family branches (when diagram is first built)'. In other words FH can automatically hide one of the duplicate branches of descendants for you. In your example this wouldn't make a great difference but if the couple had several generations of descendants it would.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Diane, please, please, start a new posting in the Importing forum. Do not overload this thread.
Then I can repeat the advice I gave in 'family-historian@groups.io'.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry