* Setting up AS for use with imported RM9 templates

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Setting up AS for use with imported RM9 templates

Post by Gary_G »

I'm considering using AS to speed up the process of updating my Canadian Census entries that I've imported from RM9 and hope to split using the splitter plugin. I understand that splitting the census tends to be the preferred route.

I'm finding that the initial configuration of AS is a bit intimidating due to the number of options.

As noted; For my census entries, I plan to use split sources with user-defined Census templates. I don't really want to generate/update all the fact types possible with AS. I really only want to generate/update Census and Occupation facts, as I already have more primary references entered for Birth, Marriage, Death and Burial. I could accept generating Residence facts as well. However; with already having residence as part of a Census fact, it might be redundant.

I should note that I've made sure that the configuration is set to the default, as a point of reference.

I would appreciate a bit of help with what switches etc. to set to get the desired results.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Setting up AS for use with imported RM9 templates

Post by NickWalker »

Are you planning on using the Source Text with the Auto button to help generate a transcription or will you be leaving that blank? If you are generating a transcript will you be using rich text or just plain text?

The default settings will generate Census (not residence) and Occupation facts. You'll get offered the chance to update birth records for individual (e.g. estimating year of birth using an age during the census and 'place of birth' if specified) but you can choose to not do this on a person-by-person basis. If you don't want that you could untick the 'Offer to create birth facts' under the Census options.

AS won't update your census or occupation. It will offer replace your census fact if one exists for the same year and can retain any existing citations if you wish. It will create a new occupation fact.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Gary_G
Megastar

Re: Setting up AS for use with imported RM9 templates

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks, Nick. When reading your other reply on linked images, I suddenly realized I was trying to use AS incorrectly.

My situation is that I have some sets of census/occupation facts fully input, due to my imported data from RM9. I'm hoping to use AS to re-generate facts with a rich-text transcript. It sounds like I'll need to keep RM9 open and cut-and-past my notes (the few that exist) into the Notes portion of a new census fact. Then I'll need to somehow figure out how to find and get rid of the pre-existing version of the facts, leaving only the AS-generated ones. Not quite sure how to orchestrate that. I'm going to try it on a dummy project, of course.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!