* Directory Junctions

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Directory Junctions

Post by ColinMc »

I hope this is the right sub-forum for this query.

I am in the process of setting my laptop up to be able to use it while away from base visiting relatives interested in the family tree so I need t be able to replicate everything I see/use at home.

Firstly, I have ensured that I have the latest version of FH on both PC & laptop. I also have the same Windows user name (not always easy) on both, and the same file locations on both devices. Program on C Drive, Data on G Drive (synced to OneDrive)

Program C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian
Prog Data C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie

Project G:\OneDrive\Family Historian\FH
Images G:\OneDrive\Family Historian\FH Images
Dir Junctions G:\OneDrive\Family Historian\FH Settings

After checking the KB article at Synchronizing Family Historian Settings Using Directory Junctions, I have setup the first four main Directory Junctions as suggested.

It then suggests that "Other candidates for syncing include Diagrams, Reports, Text Schemes, Flags, Icons, and Property Box tabs." could be considered, and I've added them.

Is this list of candidates still up-to date? This would leave the following directories not synced. In particular, I wondered if the "Autotext for Plugins" and "Plugin Data" folders could or should be considered for syncing. In my case the others do seem to be less significant.

Autotext for Plugins
General
Geocode
International
Lang
Log Files
Map
Plugin Data
Queries
Source Templates
Spellcheck
Themes
Web Search
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Directory Junctions

Post by Mark1834 »

It’s really your call Colin, depending on your setup. I include folders that I want to be synced (plugins, queries, fact sets, etc), and exclude those that I specifically want to keep distinct between desktop and laptop, or folders that never change or I don’t use.
Mark Draper
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Ok I understand that, but most of us do not really have a knowledge of which "folders that never change or I don’t use". So that was what I was trying to get a feel for.

I don't know enough to decide that any others would be better kept distinct between the laptop and desktop.

I believe from what I've looked at, that the two folders "Autotext for Plugins" and "Plugin Data" would be safer to create links for as well.

I think from what I can see, that that will be sufficient for my setup.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FHUG KB Understanding the Scope of Features explains what features are associated with each Windows Folder and Windows Registry item.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Thanks, I've printed that to read this evening