* [Wish List 634] Possibility to add witnesses from witness screen

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
OlivierM
Famous
Family Historian: V7

[Wish List 634] Possibility to add witnesses from witness screen

Post by OlivierM »

I use baptism and marriage witnesses a lot.

When I want to input a witness that is not in the database, I I need to first create a new record for the witness (as an unrelated individual) before I can add him or her from the add witness screen .

It would love if I could add the witness as a new record directly from the witness screen, like it is possible for other relations (e.g. add child) and it would save a lot of time.
I started with Reunion > 30 years ago, later TMG.
I now use FH as main software, TNG to share my data.
Transkribus to decipher old texts.
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
Vyger
Famous

Re: Possibility to add witnesses from witness screen

Post by Vyger »

Thank you for raising this as it has been on my mind previously.

I use Witness events a lot as I find them extremely useful and generally those witnesses mentioned as God Parents, Marriage witnesses, Best Man and Bridesmaid are not in my database but are either close friends (Associates) or possibly a sister by her married name still to be discovered. The associations which emanate from a Will are bountiful and informative which I want to easily enter in my database without the current workaround you mention.

I used the term 'association' deliberately a couple of times there as Associations are being played up as something great recently by a competitor program yet they have been part of Family Historian since 2002.

Associations are part of Gedcom but pretty useless when compared to Witness events but the process of adding an associated person to Family Historian automatically ADDS the individual to your database, try the below;

Go to the All Tab
Right Click on person Name
Select Add Field
Select Add Miscellaneous
Select Add Associated Person
Select Add Link to New Individual Person
Select Add the name and that person is in your database

If it can be done for Associations then it can be done for Witness Events.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
OlivierM
Famous

Re: Possibility to add witnesses from witness screen

Post by OlivierM »

Vyger wrote: 28 Jan 2024 16:02 Thank you for raising this as it has been on my mind previously.

I use Witness events a lot as I find them extremely useful and generally those witnesses mentioned as God Parents, Marriage witnesses, Best Man and Bridesmaid are not in my database but are either close friends (Associates) or possibly a sister by her married name still to be discovered. The associations which emanate from a Will are bountiful and informative which I want to easily enter in my database without the current workaround you mention.

If it can be done for Associations then it can be done for Witness Events.
Thank you for supporting this request.

Indeed, if an easy input is possible for associates, it should be available for Witnesses.
I started with Reunion > 30 years ago, later TMG.
I now use FH as main software, TNG to share my data.
Transkribus to decipher old texts.
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
Vyger
Famous

Re: [Wish List 634] Possibility to add witnesses from witness screen

Post by Vyger »

Wish List item 634 has been created.
Please vote for it to let Calico Pie know if you wish to see this feature introduced.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future