* bug when exporting media URL in gedcom ?

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
OlivierM
Famous
Family Historian: V7

bug when exporting media URL in gedcom ?

Post by OlivierM »

Hello to all, and Happy New Year!

FH allows to define an URL as media (via the plugin Ad media URL shortcut) and that is excellent.

Among others, it allows to link an individual to URL's , something that is used in many genealogical programs.

But, these URL's are not exported correctly in Gedcom:

for instance:

this URL:

https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be/personen/3319

will be exported (gedcom) by FH as:

https inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be personen 3319.url
(and is thus useless)

I do not understand why the non-alphanumerical signs are left out in the gedcom export.
And why the url suffix is added.

Or is there a setting I missed ?

Thanks for any advice
I started with Reunion > 30 years ago, later TMG.
I now use FH as main software, TNG to share my data.
Transkribus to decipher old texts.
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: bug when exporting media URL in gedcom ?

Post by tatewise »

Olivier, please give us some more clues! The more details you provide the sooner we can find an answer. :D

What export process are you using?
The File > Export/Import > Export > GEDCOM File... command or the Export Gedcom File plugin?

What settings and options are you using?

Where in the GEDCOM file is that useless URL?
Post a fragment of the GEDCOM including the URL.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have run an experiment involving a Media record created by the Add Media URL Shortcut plugin.

As I'm sure you know, FH does not support URL in the Media record File link.
So the plugin creates a Media URL shortcut file that contains the URL and when opened that opens the URL.
The name of that Media file cannot include sensitive URL symbols such as / so they are replaced by spaces.
What you are seeing is that Media file name from the Media record, not the actual URL.
If you inspect the Media record you will understand what I'm talking about.

Those types of Media and URL shortcut files don't export to other genealogy products because most of them won't support Windows URL shortcut files. A few products might support them in some converted format, but I've not investigated that possibility.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Thank you, Mike.

I discovered, and understand that this plugin creates a shortcut file that contains the URL.
And that the name cannot contain sensitive URL symbols like /
And that most programs do not support shortcut files.

But:
I imported a media from a TNG gedcom export file with a simple URL as reference
I imported it in FH and reexported it in TNG without problem. (Not as a shortcut. As a simple http address)
But we know that FH is very tolerant ;) with imports-exports that do not perfectly match its design.

So I created a Media record where I put the url in the "file" field
(by first creating a shortcut and then replacing the "file" field)
I exported this to TNG (via the FH gedcom export) AND IT WORKED.
(I tested it with your gedcom plugin - thanks again for it - and it also worked)

Hereunder, you will see the 3 records: the first imported from TNG, the second through the URL shortcut plugin, and the third by simply adding the url link in the media record.
image.png
image.png (27.51 KiB) Viewed 627 times
I am very happy that I found a way to insert url's in media records, but I do not understand the workaround through URL shortcuts, nor the reason why "/ " signs would be prohibited. apparently FH accepts them.

Olivier
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OlivierM wrote: 06 Jan 2024 13:29 I am very happy that I found a way to insert url's in media records, but I do not understand the workaround through URL shortcuts, nor the reason why "/ " signs would be prohibited. apparently FH accepts them.
It seems that at some point FH V7 has added direct support for URL in the Media record File field that was not provided in earlier FH versions. That makes the Add Media URL Shortcut plugin redundant for FH V7.

FH does not prohibit symbols such as "/" signs but the Windows filing system does not allow them in filenames.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

tatewise wrote: 06 Jan 2024 15:29 Hello Mike,

It seems that at some point FH V7 has added direct support for URL in the Media record File field that was not provided in earlier FH versions. That makes the Add Media URL Shortcut plugin redundant for FH V7.
It is impossible to include an URL directly in a media record, as far as I know. At least not with the "Add media Record" button. You need to go via the Add Media URL Shortcut, and re-write the "File" field. So the "Add Media URL Shortcut" is not redundant, but it would be nice if you could adapt it to allow a direct registration of the URL.

Thank you for your continuous support and advice.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can add a new Media record directly to the Media tab of the Records Window by using the right-click option New Multimedia Object and enter whatever Property Box field values you like including a File field URL.

Then wherever the Add Media option is used, select Link to Existing Media Record...

BTW: If you use the plugin and then edit the File value, don't forget to delete the ...\Media\URL\ file.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Thank you Mike !