* splitting a tree

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jo@gipps.org.uk
Family Historian: V6

splitting a tree

Post by jo@gipps.org.uk »

I have a Family Historian family tree with more than 1,100 names, of whom around 400 have my surname, 600 are relatives, and around 100 are not related by blood or marriage.
It includes a branch back up my mother's line, via both male and female descendants, to Edward I.
I cannot now remember where I got this lineage from, but I included it for fun.
I now want to remove it from my family tree (but preserve it as a separate entity), so that I can get my true Family Tree printed (without the Royal distraction!).
I am finding it difficult to determine how to do this.
I am a competent FH user, but by no means expert.
I'd appreciate some guidance.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: splitting a tree

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this to the FH General Usage forum as it has nothing to do with researching family history.

This task is ideally suited to the File > Split Tree Helper... command.

First, make sure you have suitable full backups for your Project just in case things go wrong.

I suggest you put all the Individual records from the Edward I branch to be split into a Named List.
Its purpose will become apparent later.

Then make a copy of your Project via the Fie > Project Window > More Tasks... > Copy Project option and give the copy a suitable Project name.

In one Project use Split Tree Helper... to remove one branch and in the other remove the other branch.
The Query to choose is Named List Members for the Named List created above.
Choose Delete all Individual records found by query in one Project, and Delete all Individual records NOT found by query in the other Project.
For the Other Records select all the options with Delete ... Records left with no links to them.

You will probably need to run the Check for Unlinked Media plugin in both Projects to purge Media files no longer used in the Project.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by LornaCraig »

EDIT: Mike and I replied at the same time, with different suggestions. I think my method is quicker, but either will work. It depends whether you want to preseve the Edward I group as a separate pool in the same project or as a separate project.

You need to choose the earliest ancestor(s) you do want to include in your mother’s branch, and unlink them from their parents.

There are various ways to do this. One way to do this is to open the Property box of the ancestor you want to keep, and go to the ALL tab. Next to Parents Family you will see “ … of X and Y” where X and Y are the parents you want to detach. Right-click on “… of X and Y” and select Clear Link. Repeat this for any other lines which lead back to Edward I.

You will now find that Edward I‘s descendant form a separate pool, unconnected to you mother’s family.
Lorna
jo@gipps.org.uk
Family Historian: V6

Post by jo@gipps.org.uk »

Many thanks to both - I'm now on the case.
Jo Gipps