* [Wish List Item 635] Better ways to find where records are used

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

[Wish List Item 635] Better ways to find where records are used

Post by tatewise »

This is a spin-off from the thread Add new tab for citations in Source tab. (22326)

Problem:
Currently, there are several inconsistent ways to find where records are used:
  1. View > Record Links... command.
    However, this only lists the host records where the chosen record is used and not the specific field(s).
    So the user must search further and can only do so in one host record at a time.
  2. View > Citations to Source Record... command.
    This obviously only lists Citations linked to a Source record so does not list other links to Source records.
  3. Tools > Work with Data > Places... dialogue Where Used... button.
    This button obviously only works for Place records but does list every field where the Place is used.
  4. Fact Witness dialogue Go To > Local Event for Principal/Witness feature.
    This option obviously only works for Fact Witnesses.
  5. Where Used Record Links plugin.
    This lists all the fields where the chosen record(s) are used but is a bit more awkward to access and needs to be updated whenever new features are added to FH.
There are many other ways fields can link to records: Note fields to Note records, Source records to Repositories and to Source Templates, any record to Research Notes, Rich Text links to any records, etc...
FH has no native command that lists all specific fields where any chosen type of record is used (except Places).
No Data Reference shortcut allows Expressions or Plugins to find where a record is used (except INDI.~SHAR[n]).

User Interface Proposal:
FH should provide a way of easily listing all the specific field(s) where a chosen record is used.
The list should include details similar to those in the Result Set produced by some existing commands.

Suggestions (they don't all have to be implemented):
  1. Add a Where Used... button to each Property Box main toolbar &/or to each Records Window tab, so a single click produces a Result Set listing, as requested by OP in Add new tab for citations in Source tab (22326).
  2. Alter the View > Record Links... command to produce a comprehensive Result Set listing, not just records.
  3. Add all record types to the Tools > Work with Data dialogues instead of just Place records, so they all have a Where Used... button and other useful features.
Where possible, multiple record selection would be a useful bonus.

Data Reference Proposal:
Similar to the INDI.~SHAR[n] shortcut for Fact Witnesses, provide shortcuts for all other usage links:
e.g.
SOUR.~SOUR[n] for all Source links.
SOUR.~CITE[n] for just Citation links.
OBJE.~OBJE[n] for all Media links.
NOTE.~NOTE[n] for shared Note links.
_RNOT.~_RNOT[n] for shared Research Note links.
INDI.~INDI[n] for all Individual links including Rich Text links.
INDI.~ASSO[n] for just Associated Person links.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: Better ways to find where records are used

Post by AdrianBruce »

Seems sensible - the number of times I've gone down one route only to find it just gives individuals when I want fields... :(
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Adrian, do you have any preference for the Suggestions that I proposed or any other ideas?
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Ron Melby »

may be a way to go, sort of like it is done in movetorecordid or whatever that one is movetorecordid(2024, 'FAM')

LINKS.~SOUR[n] for all Source links.
LINKS.~SOUR.~CITE[n] for just Citation links.
LINKS.~OBJE.~OBJE[n] for all Media links.
LINKS.~NOTE.~NOTE[n] for shared Note links.
LINKS._RNOT.~_RNOT[n] for shared Research Note links.
LINKS.INDI.~INDI[n] for all Individual links including Rich Text links.
LINKS.INDI.~ASSO[n] for just Associated Person links.
repo etc.

the[n] parm would be handy to have as ('*t') as os.time does as well
and ('#') for number of links.
then one can use [n] for iterators and just get the whole forest for times when that works.

and something that will get me programmatically the number of INDI, FAM etc types without having to do for loops for finding out that number.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Mike, I can add a 6th item to your list of current ways to find where records are used. For Media records there is a Links tab in the Property box, which does what the name implies.

Of your three suggested solutions I think I would favour the first, adding a Where Used button to each Property box.

The existing View > Record Links command is not particularly useful so could either be removed completely or renamed as View > Where Used and produce the same output as the first option.

I’d prefer to leave Tools > Work with Data as it is.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I overlooked the Media record Links tab, which is similar to Add new tab for citations in Source tab. (22326).

That Media Links tab omits all Links from Rich Text, which is evident by the Links column being greater than the rows in the Links tab.

The Links tab identifies in the Detail column where the Media is attached, and the blue arrow Go To button opens that entry in the host record, which is better than the View > Record Links... command.
wellera
Diamond

Post by wellera »

Excellent suggestions as this area of FH navigation has always struck me needing improvement.

I would find it really helpful if "Where used" (or similar wording) was an option on the 'right-click' context menu when a record is highlighted in the records screen (Individuals / Notes / Sources / Repositories / Media / Places etc)

Andrew
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Andrew, would you find it useful to be able to select multiple records and find where they are all used?

If so then perhaps a Where Used button would be easier to use and is also more obvious than a right-click menu.
wellera
Diamond

Post by wellera »

Hi Mike

I've never had the need to look up multiple records, so the right click menu option would be the simplest navigation for me.

I see this as a quick navigation option in addition to a "where used" button (the button could be made to support multiple record selection if people need this)

Andrew
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

wellera wrote: 26 Dec 2023 19:42 Excellent suggestions as this area of FH navigation has always struck me needing improvement.

I would find it really helpful if "Where used" (or similar wording) was an option on the 'right-click' context menu when a record is highlighted in the records screen (Individuals / Notes / Sources / Repositories / Media / Places etc)

Andrew
As a relatively new user to FH I can find the standard functionality confusing at times. There is also the suggestion from Adrian Bruce for a more standard approach which is very much required imo.

In my experience of all the programs I have used and watching users trying to get such 'where used' results I find an expectation for Right Click solutions and would personally favour that solution as a standard.

I had little experience of of V6 but the current UI appears to have evolved in a 'bolt on' fashion which is not unusual in software development. Rather than adding extra buttons and therefore clutter to the UI I do favour the right click 'where used' approach which could be globally applied across Sources, Repositories, Media, Places and hopefully Addresses at some future point.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Vyger wrote: 27 Feb 2024 15:53 Rather than adding extra buttons and therefore clutter to the UI I do favour the right click 'where used' approach which could be globally applied across Sources, Repositories, Media, Places and hopefully Addresses at some future point.
How would that work for each Property Box which has no right-click feature?
That case needs a button or Menu option.

I can add a right-click Where Used option to my OP User Interface Proposal: suggestions for cases where a record can be selected such as the Records Window.

Would that make my OP acceptable wording for a Wish List entry?
wellera
Diamond

Post by wellera »

Mike

Yes, if you could add a "right click" element into your proposal, that would be great

I feel it would improve FH usability in a fairly intuitive way.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Andrew
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 27 Feb 2024 16:12 How would that work for each Property Box which has no right-click feature?
Why shouldn't the Property Box have a right click feature? It's crying out for one....
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I suppose so, I just heard it. :D Whereabouts in the Property Box would a right-click be allowed?
e.g. Only in the pale grey area next to a toolbar, or any grey background area, or what?
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

tatewise wrote: 27 Feb 2024 16:12 Would that make my OP acceptable wording for a Wish List entry?
I have read several discussions and requests which really pivot around this similar issue and break in natural functionality, I'm only concerned a very complicated Wish List entry results.

During the beta and community preview of another program there was a public outcry regarding a lot of right click functionality being dropped from the previous version.

My relative newby view of Family Historian is not one of intuitive driving. As I said before it appears to have evolved in more of a 'bolt on' fashion which is not unusual.

My personal right click preference may not cover every need but would cover most 'where used' needs. The old selection options need to stay in place for those who are accustomed to driving that way but I would view adding more buttons as counter productive increasing complexity rather than simplifying.

I just want to see these several similar threads distilled into a good and simple Wish List item.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Right-click context menus are generally associated with an item being selected - a text box being edited, an image being selected, a file, etc. It makes sense for the records window to have this option in the right-click context menu for that reason. But I really can't see how right-clicking on an entire page of the properties window would make sense logically - I can't think of examples of that in any other software. There is no obvious 'target' to right-click on - all of the various text boxes in the properties dialog already have right-click context menus. It would make more sense to be an additional button on the toolbar at the top:
image.png
image.png (10.85 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Or if CP felt the toolbar was getting too busy it could be included in a drop-down button like the settings cog. I do agree with this wish-list item that it would be really good to have a readily available button to click to find where a record would be used. Personally I'm not convinced of the need to be able to do this with multiple selected items - that seems to lead to a less intuitive interface too.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As often seems to happen in such threads, we now have several opposing points of view.
1) Buttons versus right-click.
2) For and against Property Box right-click.
That does not make it easy to compose a Wish List proposal that satisfies everyone.
Unless I omit all the suggested solutions and just ask for a comprehensive Result Set.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I think it should be possible to agree a set ob objectives (like your comprehensive result set) without specifying the ui details. CP will have their own design direction for the UI so why waste effort second guessing them.

Maybe include some words about 'readily accessible' from wherever it shoule be readily accessible from.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Yes I agree with this. I added my comment because I wanted to clarify how context menus are used, but really it is up to Calico Pie to decide how to implement this. Although I can also see it would sometimes be helpful for them to understand the wish more clearly. So perhaps the wish-list item could just have a passing comment regarding the UI such as "Add a Where Used... option to each Property Box and each Records Window tab e.g. using a toolbar button and/or context menu"
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

This makes the most sense to me too.
ColeValleyGirl wrote: 27 Feb 2024 21:09 I think it should be possible to agree a set ob objectives (like your comprehensive result set) without specifying the ui details. CP will have their own design direction for the UI so why waste effort second guessing them.

Maybe include some words about 'readily accessible' from wherever it shoule be readily accessible from.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I intend to produce an updated proposed wording for a Wish List entry soon.

One feature that has not been mentioned, and I overlooked in my OP, is Named Lists.
Should a Where Used comprehensive Result Set include members of Named Lists and their Notes?
Those entries are rather similar to record link entries in rich text notes so in my opinion should be included.
Currently, none of the existing Where Used options do so; not even my Where Used Record Links plugin.
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

I believe a comprehensive list of where any such consistent implementation should be applied is probably the best approach, CP will ultimately decide.

Citing expected right click or keyboard shortcut examples from other programs does not detract from the Wish, we just need a consistent and simple solution.

Personally I believe 'more' buttons/switches is not a good solution, but that's just me.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 29 Feb 2024 10:36 One feature that has not been mentioned, and I overlooked in my OP, is Named Lists.
Should a Where Used comprehensive Result Set include members of Named Lists and their Notes?
Yes, that's a good idea. Currently the only way to discover if a record is in any Named Lists is to use the IsInList function for every list, or inspect every Named List by eye.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This is my updated Wish List proposal:

Problem:
Currently, there are several inconsistent ways to find where records are used:
  1. View > Record Links... command.
    However, this only lists the host records where the chosen record is used and not the specific field(s).
    So the user must search further and can only do so in one host record at a time.
  2. Media Property Box > Links tab and Media Window > Links tab added about FH V4.
    This only works for Media records but does not identify specific field(s) nor Named List membership.
  3. Tools > Work with Data > Places... dialogue Where Used... button added in FH V4.
    This button only works for Place records but does list everywhere the Place is used, except Named Lists.
  4. Fact Witness dialogue Go To > Local Event for Principal/Witness feature added in FH V6.
    This option only works for Fact Witnesses.
  5. View > Citations to Source Record... command added in FH V7.
    This only lists Citations linked to a Source record so does not list other links to Source records.
  6. =IsInList(...) function.
    Identifies whether a record is a member of a Named List.
  7. Where Used Record Links plugin.
    This lists all the fields where the chosen record(s) are used (except Named Lists) but is a bit more awkward to access and needs to be updated whenever new features are added to FH.
There are many other ways fields can link to records: Note fields to Note records, Source records to Repositories and to Source Templates, any record to Research Notes, Rich Text links to any records, Named List members, etc...
FH has no native command that lists all those specific fields where any chosen type of record is used.
No Data Reference shortcut allows Expressions or Plugins to find where a record is used (except INDI.~SHAR[n]).

User Interface Proposal:
FH should provide a way of easily listing all the specific field(s) where a chosen record is used.
The list should include comprehensive details similar to those in the Result Set produced by some existing commands.

Suggestions (they don't all have to be implemented):
  1. Add a Where Used... button to each Property Box main toolbar &/or to each Records Window tab, so a single click produces a Result Set listing, as requested by OP in Add new tab for citations in Source tab (22326).
  2. Add a right-click Where Used... option to any record in a list such as each Records Window tab.
  3. Alter the View > Record Links... command to produce a comprehensive Result Set listing, not just records.
Where possible, multiple record selection might be a useful bonus.

Data Reference Proposal:
Similar to the INDI.~SHAR[n] shortcut for Fact Witnesses, provide shortcuts for all other usage links:
e.g.
SOUR.~SOUR[n] for all Source links.
SOUR.~CITE[n] for just Citation links.
OBJE.~OBJE[n] for all Media links.
NOTE.~NOTE[n] for shared Note links.
_RNOT.~_RNOT[n] for shared Research Note links.
INDI.~INDI[n] for all Individual links including Rich Text links.
INDI.~ASSO[n] for just Associated Person links.
INDI.~_LIST[n] for Named List membership.
Last edited by tatewise on 29 Feb 2024 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

A minor comment on one of your points in the ‘Problem’ section. You said
Media Property Box > Links tab added in FH V7?
This only works for Media records but does not identify specific field(s) ….
I think that tab has probably been there since long before V7 (but can’t be sure). Anyway it contains the same information as the Links tab in the main Media Window. In both cases the Detail column in the tab does identify specific field(s). On the other hand it’s not a great help because clicking on it only takes you to the record, not the specific field.

I agree with the proposal as worded.
Lorna