* Charts of DNA matches

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
dichorionic
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Charts of DNA matches

Post by dichorionic »

I wonder if someone can help me. I have an unexplained DNA match, almost certainly a NPE, that I've been researching for a couple of years. Using Shared Matches and the Leeds technique I have narrowed down the options significantly. However, I would like to draw a chart limited to my DNA matches and their forbears to show my connections with them graphically. I don't want to print a tree of everyone in my antecedent four generations, just those of proven matches. I have applied both the DNA Marker to every match as well as a custom DNA Flag. Is there a way to limit a chart to the matches?
jelv
Megastar

Re: Charts of DNA matches

Post by jelv »

I asked about this a bit back. It seems the only way to do it is to make a copy of the project and delete all the individuals you don't want in the chart to leave just the ones you want.
John Elvin
dichorionic
Gold

Post by dichorionic »

Thank you John. Ye gods! Time to get out the ruler and coloured pencils.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I have a custom attribute, DNA match (Ancestry), where the value is the relationship with myself, and a custom diagram where the box is coloured yellow if this fact is present, and green where the individual is a Most Recent Common Ancestor witness to that fact as per the recent discussion. I then produce a diagram starting with the relevant Most Recent Common Ancestor(s), and manually hide all the boxes relating to branches that have no match. Finally, I save it using Diagram > Save Diagram As... > Family Historian Chart..., with one chart per common ancestor.

An example of the final product is shown below. This public version uses a fully redacted text scheme that shows only the DNA match value, but it can of course contain any detail that you wish.

It can take a few experiments to configure it as you require, but is that worth trying?
DNA chart.png
DNA chart.png (17.75 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Mark Draper
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

This is the problem with what I wanted to achieve and I think what dichorionic wanted:
Mark1834 wrote: 05 Dec 2023 08:07 with one chart per common ancestor.
Basically what I wanted was a combined chart similar to how related with siblings hidden for all my MRCA and DNA matches.

Generalising, has anyone ever suggested a new chart option formatted like all relatives but only including those individuals in a list? That would be useful for more than just charting DNA matches.
John Elvin
wolfswald
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by wolfswald »

Years ago I once used Diagram > Selection&Marks to mark specific boxes in a diagram and then only show them with the help of Diagram > Hide/Show Boxes. I don't remember exactly how I did that, but maybe you'd want to play around a bit with it, using a custom attribute for DNA and then a query working with it. This could also be done with an "all relatives" diagram.