* Windows app

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
trevorrix
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Windows app

Post by trevorrix »

Has anyone investigated running Family Historian on the new "Windows App" from Microsoft?

"The Windows App is essentially a new remote desktop hub that enables users to stream Windows Cloud PC and remote desktop services on a range of devices. This includes not only other Windows machines but also iPhones, iPads, Macs, and any device equipped with a desktop browser, i.e. Chromebooks. Android devices are currently not supported."

See https://chromeunboxed.com/microsoft-lau ... ook-threat
Trevor Rix
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Windows app

Post by tatewise »

As stated in several reports: "Microsoft is currently only allowing business and school accounts to use the app."
So unless you have such an account the answer will be 'no'.

I have a suspicion that it would only support Microsoft Store Apps and not Windows programs like FH.

I also suspect it would infringe the FH licence terms if not the licence verification process.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 01 Dec 2023 10:55
I have a suspicion that it would only support Microsoft Store Apps and not Windows programs like FH.
I don't see why that should be a limitation if (as reported) it will stream the full Windows operating system. But it sounds as if you'd need to sign up for a 'PC-in-the-cloud' service, and those are inevitably subscription services.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

It's already possible to set up a Microsoft RDP Client, or one of many other RDP Clients, on a macOS or iOS devices (and there are also plenty of existing RDP options on Linux etc.) to gain 'remote' access to a desktop Windows installation, or an Azure Virtual Desktop installation, so it's a little difficult to see any particular gains for Home users in "yet another option".

What I do see is the future possibility of an additional Microsoft annual annual leasing possibility to extend the Microsoft 365 Service. i.e. Just Another Streaming Service. As to whether it would be a legitimate/permitted use of desktop software, such as Family Historian, that functions under a site/user limited commercial license.....

Mervyn
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

The costs are high currently, depending on the spec of the virtual PC, it would be at least around £500 a year I think.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It was significantly more than that when I priced it up a few years ago, Nick.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 01 Dec 2023 12:50 It was significantly more than that when I priced it up a few years ago, Nick.
These are excluding VAT and are all business pricing:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-365/all-pricing
image.png
image.png (65.8 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Yeah. I needed a shedload of RAM and some heavy duty processing power for some heavy duty data mining which I wanted to offload from my PC.

I came to the conclusion I didn't want the data mined that much.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Those costs are competitive in the corporate world compared with maintaining a conventional workstation, so that’s clearly the intended market at the moment, not the home user.
Mark Draper