* New Family

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
stillpuzzledlesley
Gold
Family Historian: V5

New Family

Post by stillpuzzledlesley »

hi I joined both my husband and my family together in one 'Family' for convenience.

Recently I have been doing some research for a friend and started a new 'family' . However I can now not get back to my own family, can you help please?

lesley
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: New Family

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Lesley, we need a little more detail.

Did you start a new Project for your friend's family, or did you add them to your existing project?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

May I try and help?
Lesley, have you looked in the Records Window on the Individuals tab and sorted by Record Id?
Your original family will have the lowest Record Id numbers because they were added first.
The friend's family will have the highest Record Id numbers because they were added last.

Have you set one of the friend's family as the File Root so when FH starts it shows them in the Focus Window?

I assume you want to get your own family to appear in the Focus Window by default.
So select yourself from the Individuals listed in the Records Window and use the Edit > File Root command to choose Set as File Root. Then the Home button on the top toolbar will display your family in Focus.

BTW: Please confirm you are still using FH V5 as indicated in your profile on the right.
Last year I think you were planning to upgrade your computer and FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
stillpuzzledlesley
Gold

hi Mike
Thanks for quick reply.
I am still on 5

Friends family - yes set as root

yes i want my family back as default

when i look at Records window - there is a 2 there but it does nothing.

I can only see the ids of my friend's family cant see my family as all.
stillpuzzledlesley
Gold

I started a new Project. lesley
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Lesley, go to File > Project Window and select your project from the list that appears there.

Don't click Open Project YET.

Chose More Tasks and then Set As Default Project. (This will ensure your project opens whenever you open FH).

Now click Open Project.

If/when you need to get back to your friends family, you can do that via File > Project Window and Open Project (but don't set it as default).
stillpuzzledlesley
Gold

hH Both,

I have managed to open a saved backup and will in future not start any other projects ! thanks for your help.

lesley
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Lesley, you should not have needed to open a backup. if it is as up-to-date as you need, that's great, but you may still have another similarly named project lying around to trip you up in future.

If you want to sort that out, please post a screenshot of your Project Window (click File > Project Window) and post that here (ypu can drag and drop the image into your reply.