* FTM Importing Note Issue

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
SquashIt
Gold
Family Historian: V7

FTM Importing Note Issue

Post by SquashIt »

Back in 2021 I made an initial transfer from FTM to FH and Notes (held in the description field in FTM) were transferred. Now I'm trying to merge an updated file and find descriptions are no longer being imported.

When I check the gedcom file exported from FTM (both current and original) it reads
1 RESI Relation to Head: Daughter
2 DATE 1911
2 PLAC Islington

And in the imported FH gedcom file it reads
1 RESI
2 DATE 1911
2 PLAC Islington

Whereas my initial FH gedcom shows
1 RESI
2 DATE 1911
2 PLAC Islington
2 NOTE Relation to Head: Daughter

In the intervening period both programs have been updated to the current versions.

I checked the File Load/Save preference "Move invalid data into note fields where possible" is checked.

The main issue is during the merge process, all those missing notes show as mismatches which I have to check.

Any ideas?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: FTM Importing Note Issue

Post by tatewise »

It would be helpful if you explained your import/merge process more explicitly.

See the FHUG KB Merge/Compare File advice.

Are you importing the current GEDCOM from FTM into a new FH Project in the same way you did originally?
Any 'fixes' that you applied originally must be repeated with this new Project.
That should recreate exactly the same entries as originally for records that have not changed.
Thus, when you perform the Merge, the unchanged records should involve a null merge.

Perhaps you are trying to Merge the current FTM GEDCOM directly into the original FH Project.
That will result in mismatches due to the differences you posted.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
SquashIt
Gold

Post by SquashIt »

Hi Mike,

I am importing the FTM file into a new project and then merging that file into my original. When I look at the new FH project, the notes are not there and so when I do the merge I get mismatches.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've experimented and you are absolutely correct :roll:
That does not seem to be the way it is meant to work.
It is very rare for FH to discard data and in this case is not what the Preferences demand.
Also there is no error log for that discarded data.

I suggest you report that issue via the Calico Pie Support Centre at http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php

Make the point that it has changed for the worse since your original import of essentially the same GEDCOM data.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
SquashIt
Gold

Post by SquashIt »

Response from family historian support -
Thank you for reporting this issue. We have investigated and confirmed that you are correct. The option to copy invalid data into a Note field was not being honoured when it should have been. This will be fixed in the next Family Historian update.