* Repeat of Ancestors on Chart

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Repeat of Ancestors on Chart

Post by rfj1001 »

I wonder if someone can cast their eye on the attached diagram.

Hubert and Hilda (botom of tree) were second cousins who married but their common gg parents are repeated in the diagram. Their ancestors go back a few more generation so this duplicate tree just gets larger and larger.

I've checked all the record number for individuals, marriages, etc to see if there were duplications, etc. but all check out OK.

Is this just a problem with the software trying its best to display marriage between cousins or is ther something I've done, or can change, to stop the repetition.

Many thanks.

image.png
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Repeat of Ancestors on Chart

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Your diagram isn't attached. See the instructions at Attachments for guidance on how to do it.
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Thanks,

I thought I'd pasted the image from the clipboard into the text box as per instructions. Certainly I could open it at this end so not sure what happened. Did it a different way this time so, fingers crossed, this will work. (I've certainly got a green tick mark on the status of the added file.

Just for info, there's a small error on my initial post. The relationship was first cousins, not second :(
Screenshot 2023-10-18 133655.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-18 133655.jpg (260.42 KiB) Viewed 534 times
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

As you have probably realised, the thin coloured 'ribbon' in the diagram is indicating where the duplicate branch appears. In Diagram Options > General tab you will see a tick box to Check for Duplicates. The box next to that opens up a menu of options to control the display. You will see that you can choose to Hide duplicated family branches when the diagram is first built.

You could also simply hide one of the duplicate branches manually by clicking on the expansion button above one of the appearances of the gg-parents. It's important to keep the duplication of the gg-parents themselves, so that the relationship between the cousins is clear.
Lorna
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Thanks Lorna,

The Hide Duplicated Family Branches box was already ticked. I toggled it on and off and rebuilt the ancestor tree each time to see if it made a difference, but the coloured 'ribbon' remained throughout.

I can see the benefit of the way the tree is presented so I think I'll follow your option 2, keep things simple, and just use the expansion button to close a duplicated branch down.

Thanks again.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

rfj1001 wrote: 18 Oct 2023 14:50 The Hide Duplicated Family Branches box was already ticked. I toggled it on and off and rebuilt the ancestor tree each time to see if it made a difference, but the coloured 'ribbon' remained throughout.
The ribbon will still remain, linking the two appearances of the ancestral couple. But if the diagram options are set to display more generations you should find that ticking that option does automatically hide one of the duplicate branches above them when the diagram is first built. From your screenshot I think you are not displaying any generations further back. (If you were, there would be some expansion buttons above the earliest generation shown.)
Lorna