* Transition or move fact

Questions about managing place and address information, and using maps and geocoding
natashahouseman
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Transition or move fact

Post by natashahouseman »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had experimented with a transition or move custom fact (likely an attribute) for places or for other attributes like occupation or immigration?
I am often trying to narrow down a point of transition - a move to a new village, the point where someone stepped up from being a labourer to a farmer or even when someone emigrated. Children's baptism records, censuses and even land tax records can often narrow a range down to just a few years,
These points of transition are often what turns a series of genealogical facts into a story. A more unusual record set might come into play or the wider economic or social context.
At the moment I am using attributes to show the minimum proven period of a residence, occupation or other fact, leaving gaps for the point of transition but gaps aren't particularly obvious and I was thinking of a way to better capture these.
I would love to hear from anyone who has tried to capture this
Thanks
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: Transition or move fact

Post by AdrianBruce »

natashahouseman wrote: 13 Oct 2023 21:07 Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had experimented with a transition or move custom fact (likely an attribute) for places or for other attributes like occupation or immigration? ...
This might be a little theoretical, but what you describe is actually an Event. Attributes describe a steady-state (which may be a short steady-state, of course) and Events describe the transition between Attributes. It's very seldom that people bother with such transition events, though a Retirement Event might be regarded as one such.

If I understand your needs, I'd be tempted to create a simple Transition event with no more than a Date (possibly a Date Range in practice?) and Notes. After all, if you're transitioning from Ag Lab to Farmer, there's no single value to be had. And if you're moving from Scotland to England, there's no single place. Etc., Etc.

I'd put all the details into the Note for that Transition event - that would give me the most flexibility to describe what was going on - flexibility that I think I'd like to have. You may have a more concrete view of what Transitions you have.
Adrian
natashahouseman
Diamond

Thanks Adrian, I think you are right - it is an event. Starting with a range and then narrowing down as more information comes to light.
Frank1025
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Frank1025 »

I agree that transition details help to build the story (and the research).

In version 6 (still using it), I have the Departure event record the Date and Place of departure as accurately as known with the "Departure: " box to record where they go to (adding the word "for" before the place they travel to.

Any additional information is either in Note or the Source(s). Witnesses (including the principal) are attached with Role co-traveller

The Sentence is generated with: <{date}, > <{role=co-traveller}> left <{_place}> {age} <{value}>

So "Circa 1802, George Wharton, Margaret (Peggy) Addison, ... left Mickleton, Yorkshire, England for Langleydale, Durham, England."

And when published with the footnote to the Source: "Loadman / Wharton Family Bible" (Unpublished (in private possession)). The Loadman/Wharton family bible notes the children baptized in Romaldkirk, except the last two who are baptized in Staindrop, dates found in the baptism registers of the respective Parish churches. The family bible also gives their dates of birth and based on this, the move to Langleydale (and thus Staindrop Parish) is between the birth date of Charles (16 February 1799) or perhaps his baptism (17 March 1799), and the birth date of William (30 June 1803). This is not the only family to make a similar move from Mickleton to Langleydale apparently in this period. A major event in 1802 is the enclosure of commons in Mickleton, witness a notice in the Journal of the House of Lords"

I use the same system for migration using Departure and/or Arrival events, where the Address is the Ship Name, possibly the ship register number, and Line (if relevant).
natashahouseman
Diamond

Thanks Frank, that's a helpful way of effectively including two places into one fact.