* Marriages

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Marriages

Post by Johnr65 »

Why is it necessary to have the vicar's name entered on the AS marriage entry? Most of the time they are unreadable and rarely are they related to the couple.
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Marriages

Post by NickWalker »

It isn't necessary. I rarely bother entering it.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

It's not necessary - I record it so I have a complete picture of the record...also, every once in a while, there appears to be a family connection. If it's illegible, I make a note of that as well. Some vicars appeared to stick around for quite a while - baptizing a child and then conducting their marriage ceremony a couple of decades later...
Johnr65 wrote: 03 Oct 2023 13:18 Why is it necessary to have the vicar's name entered on the AS marriage entry? Most of the time they are unreadable and rarely are they related to the couple.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The AS Help says (my blue highlight):
Minister (Further Info Tab)
The name of the person who officiated at the marriage ceremony can be entered here. Note that if the {MINISTER} tag isn't included in the autotext template that generates the transcription in the source text, then there is no point entering data into this box as it won't be recorded anywhere.
i.e. If your templates don't use {MINISTER} then the box should be ignored.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ChrisRead
Famous

Post by ChrisRead »

The minister can be difficult to read on many occasions. I have used https://theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/search/index.jsp to try and find the name of the minister at the time of the event. If and when present in the database, it can give you the name you're trying to read.

You need to know the Diocese of the parish and select the Browse Locations and select it. You will then get a list of parishes and with luck you can find the one you want, and the minister name you're trying to read. It's far from complete and mostly prior to 1900's, but can help sometimes.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

A fact I missed...hmm, now I have to decide if I want to add that field to my template...
tatewise wrote: 03 Oct 2023 14:38 The AS Help says (my blue highlight):
Minister (Further Info Tab)
The name of the person who officiated at the marriage ceremony can be entered here. Note that if the {MINISTER} tag isn't included in the autotext template that generates the transcription in the source text, then there is no point entering data into this box as it won't be recorded anywhere.
i.e. If your templates don't use {MINISTER} then the box should be ignored.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
ChrisRead
Famous

Post by ChrisRead »

I currently have the following in my template:
=IF[{MINISTER}%{MINISTER}%=IF[{ASSOCLIST[Minister].COMMA}%{ASSOCLIST[Minister].COMMA}%=IF[{ASSOCLIST[Priest].COMMA}%{ASSOCLIST[Priest].COMMA}%=IF[{ASSOCLIST[Rabbi].COMMA}%{ASSOCLIST[Rabbi].COMMA}%]]]]
Which uses the Minister field by priority, but then picks out the various sorts of associated persons that at types of minister. I am about to update it by adding Vicar, Rector, Curate as these are very common, and postfix their role type to the name in the template.

TBH, I almost never use anything other than than the Minister field, but that's my own failure when I started out. I'd sort of like to go back and make them all associated people now, but it's hundreds if not thousands of events. I want to update the template and start associating them instead of just being {MINISTER} text.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks for providing the code, Chris - I appreciate it :)

ChrisRead wrote: 04 Oct 2023 16:15 I currently have the following in my template:
=IF[{MINISTER}%{MINISTER}%=IF[{ASSOCLIST[Minister].COMMA}%{ASSOCLIST[Minister].COMMA}%=IF[{ASSOCLIST[Priest].COMMA}%{ASSOCLIST[Priest].COMMA}%=IF[{ASSOCLIST[Rabbi].COMMA}%{ASSOCLIST[Rabbi].COMMA}%]]]]
Which uses the Minister field by priority, but then picks out the various sorts of associated persons that at types of minister. I am about to update it by adding Vicar, Rector, Curate as these are very common, and postfix their role type to the name in the template.

TBH, I almost never use anything other than than the Minister field, but that's my own failure when I started out. I'd sort of like to go back and make them all associated people now, but it's hundreds if not thousands of events. I want to update the template and start associating them instead of just being {MINISTER} text.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford