* Unable to Deactivate 3rd Installment of Family Historian

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Unable to Deactivate 3rd Installment of Family Historian

Post by BobWard »

I just bought a new laptop and successfully installed my Version 6 licensed copy of FH on that laptop. Restored my backed-up project file with no problems. I previously had FH on my desktop and my old laptop, so 2 installations were being used.

At no time during the installation process on the new laptop did I get a warning that I had to deactivate FH on one of my other machines. The process simply installed FH on a third machine, and seems to run fine on all 3 machines, even when all 3 are running FH at the same time.

I have not been able to find a way to deactivate FH on my old laptop. Any suggestions?
mjashby
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Unable to Deactivate 3rd Installment of Family Historian

Post by mjashby »

FH6 (and earlier) didn't have any method of deactivation. The user licence, which permitted installation of on two computers owned by the same customer, was applied on a trust basis with no active enforcement.

Just uninstall the redundant copy and you're back to meeting the number of permitted installations.

Mervyn
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by BobWard »

Thanks for the information, although I am surprised that Calico Pie did not have a digital method of enforcement for the active number of installations on previous versions.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

They have introduced a digital method for FH V7 probably because they suspected the trust was being abused.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry