* TMG direct import -- unmarried couple becomes married for descendant report

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
dibl
Family Historian: V7

TMG direct import -- unmarried couple becomes married for descendant report

Post by dibl »

I'm VERY new to FH -- please excuse me if this question has been answered, but I can't find it anywhere in the "Getting Started" or FAQs, or forum search.

I am beginning a transition from TMG9 + Second Site to FH7 + GedSite for development of my website, and I've done two direct imports from my TMG project so far, and the results are very impressive. But as I've been inspecting the results, and prior to any attempt to generate a website from the FH7 project, I noticed that an unmarried relationship which resulted in a child appears as a marriage, with no date or place, in the FH7 descendant report. (Publish>Narrative Reports>Descendants By Generation).

I realize that this narrative report issue may not be reflective of how the relationships will appear in a GEDCOM export or the resulting HTML, and if that is the case, it's not going to be a problem for me. But it seemed worth asking, since it could be a problem for someone who needs the narrative reports.

Thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: TMG direct import -- unmarried couple becomes married for descendant report

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

In FH Narrative Reports, and sometimes elsewhere, the text assumes family partner couples are married even though there is no Marriage Event recorded. i.e. The report says "Alice married John Smith."

If you change the partner Status highlighted below to Unmarried Couple or Never Married then the text becomes:
"Alice had a relationship with John Smith."

It is also possible to use Language Packs to change the words used in Reports.

PartnerStatus.png
PartnerStatus.png (5.56 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dibl

Post by dibl »

Oh, Excellent, and so fast!

Thank you very much for a speedy response.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you still have "married", check you do not have a blank marriage event in the fact tab.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
dibl

Post by dibl »

Got it -- thank you very much!