* Modifying the generic source ‘template’

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
potga
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Modifying the generic source ‘template’

Post by potga »

So I have 500 odd people with records in the same BDM registry. I originally created 3 generic sources and called them Registry Name: Birth … Death …Marriage. This works OK, just like in the screenshot I took of a similar source in the knowledge base. But I have to type in ‘District’ and ‘Book/Page’ into the ‘Where within source’ field every time, as well as the corresponding values. This is a bit tedious.
Is there a way to modify the generic source to add fields ‘District’ and ‘Book/page’?
I also created a source template with these fields but when I put values into each field, next time I cited the source the values were still there, unlike the ‘Where within source’ field in the generic source which is blank every time you use it. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_0182.jpeg
IMG_0182.jpeg (196.19 KiB) Viewed 988 times
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Modifying the generic source ‘template’

Post by LornaCraig »

I don’t feel it is necessary to type the words ‘District’ and ‘Book/Page’ in full. I just enter, for example, Warminster vol 5a p 223. It is clear that the first word is the name of the district, and it only takes a second to type ‘vol’ and ‘p’.

However, the important point is that the ’Where within Source’ field is not part of the Source itself. The screenshot you have shown illustrates the Sources For pane from V6 or earlier. The ‘Where within Source’ field (and the others shown there below the Source title) are all citation-specific fields. In V7 these fields are accessed in the Citation Window, where the top part of the window displays fields which define the Source and the lower part displays the citation-specific fields, which can vary from one citation to another.

If you create your own template in V7 you need to put the ‘District’ and ‘Book/Page’ fields in the Citation Specific section of the template. Those fields are not part of the definition of the Source itself. The Source details should remain unchanged from one use to another.

Use the existing Civil Registration Index template as an example. You can create separate birth, marriage and death index templates on the same lines. You will see that the Registration district and Reference fields are marked as Citation fields.
Lorna
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I put the date in your case Q4 1871 in the 'Entry Date' field and Glasgow Vol 56 Page ddcd in the 'Text from Source' field. Have you tried this as I think that they will export as you wish?
potga
Silver

Post by potga »

I kind of worked out what I wanted by creating a generic source and editing with the 'Customize Citation Window'.
This is just what I want, though it doesn't quite work. I go to 'Add Citation' and select my generic source. Looks fine so far. I enter something into the 'District' field but when I tab to enter something into the 'Book/Page' field the value in the 'District' field copies there. I can overwrite this but whatever or wherever the last entry is made copies to the other field.
If I close and 'Add Citation' select my 'generic source' the last value entered is still in both fields. What is going on and is there a fix?
Another problem is if I 'Add Citation'/'Add New Generic Source' I dont get a new generic source, just the one I have customized.
So this probably isn't the way to go about things, and creating a new template or cloning an existing one is probably the way to go. Am I correct?
Attachments
4.png
4.png (36.73 KiB) Viewed 912 times
1.png
1.png (40.78 KiB) Viewed 912 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

With all due respect, you need to take a step back and review the Help and examples in the Family Historian Sample Project.

If you wish to use Generic Source Citations then you must work within the constraints of the GEDCOM specified fields.
It is not usually possible to invent fields with names that you like. You must use the FH/GEDCOM fields.
I suspect you've defined District and Book/Page using the same Data Reference, so they are both the same GEDCOM field.
The advantage of using Generic Source Citations is they export well to other products that understand the GEDCOM fields.

If you wish to define your own specific fields then you must use Templated Source Citations.
I suggest you model any custom templates on existing templates by cloning them.
You will be able to use a Date Entry Assistant to enter the data and avoid having to type District and Book/Page.
The disadvantage is that the field details do not export so well to other products because they use custom FH extensions to the GEDCOM specification that other products won't understand.

Take some time to understand the Knowledge Base advice that you have been referred to and be prepared to make plenty of mistakes until you understand the concepts.

When posting screenshots, please include the underlying definitions. For example, with your latest screenshot, it would have been helpful to include the Customise Citation Window definitions you used to define the citation fields.

When you say Add Citation > Add New Generic Source creates the same Source, how do you know?
Since you have customised the Generic Citation Window they will all look the same as there is only one 'template'.
The only thing that will differ is the Record Id shown in [ square brackets ].
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

I too only use generic sources, and my solution is to have a separate source for each BMD entry with the detail in the title (not using the citation fields at all)
E.g.GRO B Reg 1885 Q2 Ref Hull 9d 54. (I am now even considering dropping the Reg and Ref from the title, to make it shorter, without losing the important details)

This has the benefit that I can search for a similar source when I want one, then copy and paste the title into a new source when I have a similar entry, saving myself lots of typing, which is a problem you seem to be having.

I do the same for censuses, e.g1861 Piece 2468 Folio 123 Page 16, The KISS principle working at its best😀
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com