* Ancestry Synchronization Renamed Project= Bad?

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
Fred987
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Ancestry Synchronization Renamed Project= Bad?

Post by Fred987 »

it appears I did a bad thing. I renamed my FH project and the plugin reset without an option to cancel. Is there a way to get it back so I can use my existing RM Sync? I tried renaming it back to the original name but its too late.
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Ancestry Synchronization Renamed Project= Bad?

Post by Mark1834 »

Fred,

Can you describe exactly what you did please? The recommended way to rename a project is via the Project Window, in order that all the required name changes are made and kept consistent. The first time you run the plugin in the renamed project, you will get the following warning:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.79 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
If you want to continue with the new project name, click on OK, export a new GEDCOM file to re-enable the plugin options, and select your existing RM file. If you change your mind about renaming, click on Cancel, rename the project back to the original name, and the plugin will run as before.

Background - each project stores its sync options separately, so can have different export options, RM files and Ancestry trees. It also saves the name, and checks that this matches on loading. I introduced that extra check as I found that users who maintained multiple projects and trees could get confused and select the wrong file.
Mark Draper
Fred987
Silver

Post by Fred987 »

Sorry for the delay.
I had done the export and Ancsetry sync, then had decided to rename the project via the project window. and then as you described I did get the window about the reset. I hit OK, and as noted everything was reset,(maybe I should have canceled and renamed it back, but I didnt think of that at the time) I'm not sure how to proceed to use my renamed file with the previoulsy exported and syncing RM. Can I just export with the new name and import that into the existing RM that is Syncing? Are the stored sync options you mentioned something I can find and open to just edit the name to the new name? or am I just confused and dont understand how to sync the changes in Ancestry/RM back to FM? I thought it was with this plugin - although I may have missed that part in the instructions
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Fred,

It should be fairly simple to recover from where you are now. Open the plugin, and export a GEDCOM file. You don’t have to do anything with the exported file, but it enables the plugin option to select your RM file.

Select your RM file that is synced with Ancestry, and you can then carry on as normal.

Further background - when there is no RM file associated with a project, only the Export GEDCOM option is available, in order to guide a new user to do things in the correct sequence. When a project is renamed or copied, the RM link is broken deliberately to ensure that we don’t get a situation where the same RM file is linked to more than one project.
Mark Draper
Fred987
Silver

Post by Fred987 »

Mark,

Thank you for your explaination and help. I'm back on track.

Fred