* Ancestry Synchronization Plugin

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
Fred987
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Ancestry Synchronization Plugin

Post by Fred987 »

I have many thousand people in my database but only want to use this plugin to sync about 500 of them that I have in a query. How would I go about doing that? I dont see and option to use a query for the gedcom creation.
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Ancestry Synchronization Plugin

Post by Mark1834 »

Welcome to FHUG, Fred.

Unfortunately, that is not possible at the moment. The selection works by excluding all individuals with either the Private
or (optionally) the Living flag set, along with all relationships involving those excluded individuals.

I like the concept though, so it should be possible to modify this to also exclude anybody not in a defined list (which could be kept up to date with a query). Would that be of any interest for a future update?
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mark1834 wrote: 27 Jun 2023 15:34 I like the concept though, so it should be possible to modify this to also exclude anybody not in a defined list (which could be kept up to date with a query). Would that be of any interest for a future update?
I like the idea. I already have a Named List of 'Do NOT make Webpage' which I use to exclude people from web page generation in addition to those who are flagged Living or Private, so I would like the option to exclude everyone in a defined list, as well as anyone not in a defined list.
Fred987
Silver

Post by Fred987 »

Thanks for the reply and info. I'll keep an eye on future updates.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Most users would have a single RM file and Ancestry tree linked to their FH project. You could use it with multiple files, but I wouldn't recommend that, as it could get very confusing very quickly.

I think that leads us to a single tick box option, whereby only individuals included in an "Ancestry Sync" list are processed unconditionally, with a specific warning if this conflicts with private/living settings. The option would be greyed out if the active project does not have such a list defined.

It keeps the UI simple and is easy to code, but the user has full control of how that list is populated.

I'm fairly busy with other things at the moment, but I'll post a prototype here sometime next month.
Mark Draper
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

I already do something like this - I have a tree on Ancestry which is only my relatives (not my wife's). I copy my main tree with has both my relatives and my wife's. Then delete all my wife's relatives from the copy (using Split Tree Helper with a query).
Last edited by jelv on 27 Jun 2023 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
John Elvin
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm not talking about multiple RM files/Ancestry trees, if that was aimed at me, but a single dataset that excludes people flagged Private and Living plus people in specified Named List. In my case, the named list includes unnamed individuals for whom no other details are recorded -- the unknown parents of illegitimate children -- but other may have different scenarios.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I think we are all pulling in the same direction - a simple plugin option to select from a list, and the user has full flexibility to populate that list as appropriate.
Mark Draper