* Have lost access to FH on desktop and laptop (OneDrive)

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Have lost access to FH on desktop and laptop (OneDrive)

Post by tatewise »

I hope you have been keeping notes of what you have done to resolve the Desktop problems.
If necessary put those notes into a simple text file and pin that to the Windows desktop so they are easily found.

Because your two PC are now synced via OneDrive, some problems on the Laptop should already be fixed.

On the Laptop set the FH File > Project Window... Location: to
C:\Users\Toshiba\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects
That should make all your Projects active in the Project Window.

I suggest you review the Family Historian folder structures on the Laptop as we did for the Desktop.

Then it would be wise to review all the other folder structures and check they are used rationally and consistently.
i.e. Keep documents in the Documents folder, pictures in the Pictures folder, etc, and create subfolders with sensible names to group categories of files together in an organised way to eliminate muddle.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
Thank you for your post of 18 June.
I abandoned my bench for a few days sojourn in County Mayo.
As suggested I have set on the Laptop the FH>Project Window...Location: to
C:\Users\\Toshiba\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects.
The Location in the Desktop Project Window is:
C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects.
Should I be ammending the location path in the Laptop by substituting "Edward" for "Toshiba"?

The Projects listed in both DT and LT windows are the same Except in the Desktop the following is listed additionally. "Rowland Family- Rowland (Folder: Family)" This project does not open. Can I delete it from the list.
I have tested if the Desktop and Laptop FH folders are syncing by adding small text additions. They do not appear to be syncing.
I have set the Start up Default as C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects\Rowland Family\Rowland Family.fh_data\Rowland Family.ged for the Desktop and C:\Users\ Toshiba.......... for the Laptop.

Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think by now you should be able to answer some of those questions yourself.

Why do you think C:\Users\Toshiba\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects must be used on the Laptop?

Why are the PC not syncing? They were syncing the last time you checked.
Is OneDrive running and signed in to the same accounting on both PC?
You should know how to check the status and settings in OneDrive from the notes you made when we got it working.

No don't touch Rowland Family- Rowland (Folder: Family) as that is another muddled corruption.
That can only be caused by you messing in File Explorer with the Project folder names.
Can you explain what you were trying to do?

Post a screenshot of the Project Window and tell me which Project work correctly.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
Have signed into OneDrive using the same Microsoft account on both PCs -...45@outlook.com. Posted a test Word note on
the DT and saved to OneDrive. This test note also appears in OneDrive in the Laptop.
I have updated an item in Rowland Family project in the Desktop and saved. This updated item is not reflected in the same project on the Laptop. I have tried this on a number of occasions. They are not updating/syncing.

I attach screenshot of the Project Window Desktop. Bowen, FH Sample, Rowland Family and Sharon Reardon projects are working.

Edward
Attachments
Project Window   Rowland FamilyCapture.PNG
Project Window Rowland FamilyCapture.PNG (20.8 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm glad I asked for a Project Window screenshot as its display differs from your textual description.

Close FH and use Windows File Explorer to open the folder:
C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects\Rowland Family
Delete any file named Rowland Family-Rowland
Move down to the Rowland Family.fh_data folder.
Delete any file named Rowland Family-Rowland and that should fix the problem.

Can you explain how such Rowland Family-Rowland file(s) were created?
Did you export a GEDCOM called Rowland Family-Rowland and save it in the Project folder?

Please post a screenshot of the Laptop FH Project Window similar to the Desktop one you just posted.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
I have used Windows Explorer and searched for folder C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects\Rowland Family . I have deleted the only instance of Rowland Family-Rowland that I found.
You ask that I "move down to the Rowland Family.fh_data folder" I am not sure what you require me to do.
In the Project Window on the Desktop all seems to be in order in that the offending Rowland Family-Rowland folder no longer appears. The correct projects remain.
I attach a screenshot of the Laptop FH Project Window.

Edward
Attachments
LTop Project Window Screenshot 2023-06-27 103636.png
LTop Project Window Screenshot 2023-06-27 103636.png (102.23 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

By move down to the Rowland Family.fh_data folder I meant open:
C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects\Rowland Family\Rowland Family.fh_data
However, that rogue Project problem seems to be fixed.

I notice on the Laptop the Rowland Family has Last Updated date 27/06/2023 10:20.

That is different than on the Desktop that yesterday showed as 26/06/2023 21:32.
What is the Last Updated date on the Desktop today?

Yesterday you said you updated an item in the Rowland Family project on the Desktop.
What type of data item was that? Is it still not showing in the Laptop project?

BTW: Remember to only run FH on one PC at a time and allow a little time for the change to propagate through OneDrive.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
Laptop. Rowland Family last update 27 June 10.20 am
I am not conscious that I added any data to the project today 27 June. I probably clicked Save before closing down the Project earier today. Have made minor changes to eg occupation over previous days as a testing exercise.

Last update on Desktop I changed occupation title 26 June 22.09pm. Some days ago I added two grandchildren on the Desktop.
None of these changes/additions made on one PC have todate been reflected on the other.
Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please avoid changing the same Project on both PC otherwise when they do sync there will be a GEDCOM file conflict.
The latest Project changed will take precedence and all changes to the other Project will be deleted/lost.

Check the OneDrive settings are the same on both the Desktop and Laptop as follows.
You can do this with both devices side by side so you can compare their screens.

Click the OneDrive cloud icon in the Notification area bottom right and click the cog menu top right and choose Settings.
In the Sync and back up section check all settings are the same including the Advanced settings.
In the Account section check all settings are the same and then click Choose folders button on the right.
Check all the folders listed are the same with the same ticks on both the Desktop and Laptop.
That list should include OneDrive Documents and if you click the > on the left it should list Family Historian Projects

The only difference will be the Location on your PC: C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive versus C:\Users\Toshiba\OneDrive

If you spot any differences then post screenshots of both the Desktop and Laptop.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
I have checked the OneDrive settings:

Sync and back up
Save screen shots Desktop On Laptop off
Preferences
Pause syncing when device in battery sav mode DT no entry Laptop off

Advance Settings DT Same Laptop same

Account
Account in the name of both PCs is the same and I attach screenshot of the one relating to Desktop.. However when I bought additional storage a week or so ago Microsoft was not showing the extra storage. I became aware that they had designated my account email address as ---------45@outlook.ie. I do not have such an account. Yesterday I purchased the same additional storage using the email address............45@outlook.com. That is the user name (email) that I use to sign into Microsoft.
Edward
Attachments
Screenshot OneDrive settings AccountCapture.PNG
Screenshot OneDrive settings AccountCapture.PNG (34.73 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

My guess is that the outlook.ie account is an alias (i.e. alternative email address) for the same account you use with outlook.com. I have 7 aliases for my microsoft account and I can use any of them to login to Microsoft services - but they all link to the one single account I have with Microsoft. Use this link to see your aliases: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=842796

I've edited the screenshot you posted as you were showing your full email address in that image.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

erowland wrote: 27 Jun 2023 20:35 ... my account email address as ---------45@outlook.ie. I do not have such an account. Yesterday I purchased the same additional storage using the email address............45@outlook.com. That is the user name (email) that I use to sign into Microsoft.
I am baffled by that.
You say you do not have a ---------45@outlook.ie account yet that is clearly the one you use to sign into OneDrive as shown in your screenshot.
You say you use ............45@outlook.com to sign into Microsoft but that is not what you use for OneDrive.

In a browser (Firefox, Chrome, Edge) visit https://account.microsoft.com/ and if necessary sign in to one of your accounts.
Click the Your info option in the blue bar across the top.
Under Account info are both the above Email addresses listed?
If so then they are aliases for the same account, but if not then they are separate accounts.

Did you check the Choose folders lists are the same on both Desktop and Laptop?
Also, do the Location on your PC: paths match the FH Project Window Location: paths in the first few folders?
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
I have logged into Microsoft. Under Account info- email address ONLY ...........45@outlook.com is listed.
When I click on OneDrive (Blue Band) and click on ER (top right) My name and email ..45@outlook.com is displayed.

I have checked the Choose Folders. All folders are the same on Desktop and Laptop. All are ticked.
On the Desktop "Choose folders" box "Make all files available" box is ticked. THis box is not ticked on the Laptop.

Location on your PC (Desktop) C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive
Location on your PC (Laptop) C:\Users\Toshiba\OneDrive

Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Edward, today you say the OneDrive Account has the email address .....45@outlook.com
So how do you explain your screenshot yesterday with email address .....45@outlook.ie

There is something inconsistent there in what you are telling us.

On the Laptop tick the "Make all files available" box.
However, for me, that option is called "Sync all files and folders in OneDrive". I wonder why yours is different.

I am struggling to understand why OneDrive is not syncing your FH Projects.
If the OneDrive sign in Accounts are the same and all the synced folders are the same and some non-FH changes sync OK then the FH Projects should also sync. I cannot explain why they would not sync.

Please post screenshots for both Desktop and Laptop of the Choose folders dialogue with the Family Historian Projects folder fully expanded similar to that shown in my screenshot below.
i.e. Keep clicking the > symbols on the left of OneDrive Documents, Family Historian Projects, Rowland Family, ...

OneDriveSyncFolders.png
OneDriveSyncFolders.png (68.66 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
I have ticked "Make all files available" box on DT and LT
I have attached screenshot of Desktop Choose Folders dialog box. covering Family Historian Projects and Rowland files. I do not know how to expand the box to include the full contents of the Box.
I am doing likewise using the Laptop.
I purchased 100 GB on 27 June using ...45@outlook.com because I thought that would deal with the problem of exceeding storage limit. It would seem that I have inadvertinly 2 Microsoft accounts.

Edward
Attachments
Screen shot Choose dialog box  OneDrive 28 JuneCapture.PNG
Screen shot Choose dialog box OneDrive 28 JuneCapture.PNG (39.07 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
Screenshot of LT Choose Folders

Edward
Attachments
ScreenshotChoose Folders Laptop 2023-06-28 170118.png
ScreenshotChoose Folders Laptop 2023-06-28 170118.png (95.16 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are really going to have to get a grip on your Microsoft Accounts.

On Tue 13th Jun 2023 16:37 you posted that there is a record of the purchase of additional OneDrive storage for the common email address used for both PCs .....[redacted email]45@outlook.ie
You also mentioned using the email address .....[redacted email]45@gmail.com.
Now you say you are using the email address ....[redacted email]45@outlook.com and purchased more storage.

It is crucial that you stick to just one Microsoft/OneDrive email Account or you will regularly get into a mess.

It is crucial you use the same Account on both PC all the time. Please confirm that is the case.

If you do that, based on your screenshots, I can see no reason why the FH Projects should not sync.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
Screenshot of Historian Project Window Laptop attached

Edward
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-02 195430.png
Screenshot 2023-07-02 195430.png (105.65 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
I confirm that I am using one Microsoft/Onedrive account on both computers ...45@Outlook.com. I have accessed both computers white cloud icon, settings, Sync and Back up settings are the same on both. The Account name and email address used for both are1 the same ...45@outlook.com
I have compared Choose folders on both and the files are the same on both. The content of the files differ somewhat from the screenshot that I sent last week.
The location for the laptop is C:\Users\Toshiba\OneDrive
The location for Desktop is C:\Users\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents
I attach a screenshot.

Edward
Attachments
Screenshot Choose folders DT 2 JulyCapture.PNG
Screenshot Choose folders DT 2 JulyCapture.PNG (27.4 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
I have accessed Project Windows for both Desktop and Laptop. THe projects in the DT are as expected Bowen, Sample, Rowland Family and Sharon Gibbons. Content in each case seems to be correct.
In regard to the Laptop the Project Window contains a list of projects:
FH Sample Project 1971
Rowland Family-Desktop. 1971
Both rogue

Also Rowland Family
I have attached a screenshot

Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Edward, I get the feeling you are only telling us part of the story.

Where have the Bowen Family and the Sharon Gibbons Tree projects gone from the Laptop?

Why has the Rowland Family project Last Updated date gone back to 18/05/2023?

Those -DESKTOP-088HJVQ files are caused by sync problems between Laptop and Desktop.
The fix is the same as I described earlier. Use File Explorer to search the Folder named and delete the -DESKTOP-088HJVQ file.

Your two statements below are both incorrect - please concentrate on the details.
The location for the laptop is C:\Users\Toshiba\OneDrive
The location for Desktop is C:\Users\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents
I don't understand why you say the screenshot files differ from last week. They look identical to me.

I am beginning to wonder if you need to get a computer repair shop to investigate both your Laptop and Desktop, which are repeatedly misbehaving especially regarding OneDrive syncing.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
Some days ago I set about trying to ensure that my Microsoft\OneDrive account was correct and to deal with the confusion about ....45@outlook.ie. ...45@outlook.com is now what is in use. In the process I may have mistakenly caused the problem with OneDrive in the laptop.
I have deleted those -DESKTOP-088HJVQ files and the remaining listed Family Historian Project in the Laptop Project Window is Rowland Family Last updated 18/05/2023
I note the error "The location for..."
I can understand that this is wearysome at this stage. I have learnt a good deal but obviously not enough. I hope that I can finally resolve the problem and would appreciate your further patient assistance.

Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That does not answer many of my questions.
Compare your Laptop latest Project Window screenshot with Tue 27th Jun 2023 14:34.

Where have the Bowen Family and the Sharon Gibbons Tree projects gone from the Laptop?
Did you delete them? If so then tell me.

Why has the Rowland Family project Last Updated date gone back to 18/05/2023 when last Tuesday it was 27/06/2023?
Have you performed some sort of restore? If so tell me.

Do you understand why it is difficult to offer advice when these unexplained inconsistencies keep occurring?
Maybe you should keep a note book of what you do each day to help explain the changes.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
I cannot explain where the Bowen Family and Sharon Gibbons Tree projects have gone nor can I recall what specific action I took which effected their removal post 27 June 2023. There is no logical reason for me to have knowingly deleted these projects or to have substituted the Rowland Family project of 18\05\2023 for that of 27\06\2023 nor carry out a restore action. I accept of course that it was as a result of an action taken by me. I wish I knew what it was!
I am accutely conscious of the difficulty that these inconsistencies present.

Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've just spotted another change that is important to correct.

Compare the Choose folders screenshots for Desktop on Wed 28th Jun 2023 18:09 and Sun 2nd Jul 2023 20:42.
The Location on your PC at the bottom has changed!
C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive on Wed 28th Jun 2023 18:09 is correct.
C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents on Sun 2nd Jul 2023 20:42 is wrong.

I suspect in reviewing your Microsoft/OneDrive account Email you have upset the settings.
See Change the location of your OneDrive folder.
Use 1. Unlink your OneDrive, then skip 2. Move your OneDrive folders and use 3. Re-link your OneDrive.
Choose the OneDrive folder NOT OneDrive Documents.